The Wheel of Feelings

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/27/the-wheel-of-feelings.html

3 Likes

The sprinkling of a handful of nouns amongst the adjectives is giving me headache.

12 Likes

That’s the one I keep taped to the inside my journal. It features the word “Inadequate” twice, which I assumed was the universe’s dry wit at my expense.

11 Likes

Maybe try being more “Courgeous”?

6 Likes

Ahh, the feelings wheel. My therapist has a laminated color version without the misspellings. I’m very careful now not to say “I’m not sure how I feel about that” because she’ll toss that thing in my lap before I can blink.

10 Likes

I feel a bit shocked and anxious, but also liberated, in pointing out that I think the English teacher meant “ecstatic” and not “estatic”.

3 Likes

I expected Vanna to spin the wheel, then trying to decide on buying a vowel.

6 Likes
7 Likes

I don’t see cuck anywhere on the wheel.

2 Likes

No “bored,” no “horny,” no “drunk”… this wheel misses like 90% of my emotional states! I’m filled with… wait, let me check. Disgust… disappointed… I’m filled with “revulsion!”

9 Likes

The notion that not knowing exactly how you feel is a problem of vocabulary; rather than some sort of limitation of introspection, seems downright alien. Is this typically supposed to be the case?

4 Likes

I look at it more like an issue of translation. When emotion interferes with whatever BS I’m trying to accomplish, I have to remember to embrace the feeling instead of ignore it. If I need to tell myself a story about that emotion, then I’ll make some gross translation into words. But yeah, often the emotion itself is enough information, and no poor translation into words is necessary.

(edit: the BS I’m talking about, typically is some unconscious need to look good or smart, something like that)

1 Like

I have found this useful in the past, but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. I’ve created a table version which is, I think, easier to read and an animated GIF version because spinning.

https://www.the-side-ways.com/single-post/2018/01/27/Describing-feelings

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree: the corgi may be high maintenance, but they are so friendly, and worthy of emulation.

3 Likes

The most interesting emotions are when you combine two or more of the six primaries (anger, disgust, sadness, joy, surprise, fear) rather than than think of all emotions as a subset or a matter of degree within a single primary.

[Image source: Making Comics by Scott McCloud]

Inside Out used this concept to great effect at the end of the movie as an indication of how Riley was growing into a more emotionally complex being as she matured. For example, the memory balls in the final scenes showed things like “aggressive play at a hockey game” swirled with both red (anger) and gold (joy).

8 Likes

So, print it, sellotape it to the wall, throw dart at it, discover how I feel?

1 Like

Is it just me, or is that list skewed toward negativity? Love, compassion, pity, inspiration, empowerment (sprinkle in your own adjective. gerund, adverb endings as needed), are missing, just off the top of my head, and i’m sure I could go on for a long while. The thing is more like a psychological portrait of someone who experiences life at a 2/3 negative 1/3 positive rate than a comprehensive list of emotions for general use.

Edited to say I did find love and inspired in there, so bad on me for skimming. Still, squeezing everything positive under surprise and happy categories feels needlessly constraining.

2 Likes

“Bored” is there. Second ring out, bottom of the the “Sad” hexant,

1 Like

You may be annoyed by the spelling and the emotional narrowness, but, boy, is that some sloppy drawing. The words aren’t centred horizontally or vertically, The lines are not evenly spaced. They overspill where they are supposed to meet. They’re not all the same thickness. They don’t even meet in the middle. And the kerning. ARGH!

2 Likes

Yeah, but I’m more angry-bored than sad-bored.

4 Likes