The widest screen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/24/the-widest-screen.html

7 Likes

10 Likes

You know that’s finally a long enough monitor that it deserves to be reviewed in diagonal orientation.

7 Likes

For the sake of irony, do a fullscreen NES emulator review with no edge enhancement/interpolation at the original aspect ratio and resolution.

ETA: Or code the most epic Pong ever…

11 Likes

31 Likes

Can it be mounted vertically? I mean, structurally, will it survive that, or will gravitational strain between the top and the bottom tear it apart?

5 Likes

3840 x 600 display—that’s a 58:9 aspect ratio

Uh, no. Those do not divide evenly. It’s 64:10.

My bigger problem is that this screen has VERY low pixel density: 46 PPI.

That’s equivalent to running a 25-inch desktop monitor at 960 x 540 resolution. Which … eww.

9 Likes

This monitor has fewer than 1/3 the pixels of a 4K monitor. You can be generous, and call it a 4/3K monitor.

7 Likes

I’mma get this just for the news.

18 Likes

At almost 100 lbs, good question.

3 Likes

Everything is :9 now, haven’t you heard? Good old 2.35:1 Cinemascope has been rebranded 21:9. I’m somewhat surprised people haven’t started calling the old TV resolution 12:9.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, my trusty 16:10 monitor is now 14.4:9.

4 Likes

Use case.

26 Likes

(Forgot the /s. I thought it was obvious, but I forgot, that’s not how the internet works.)

I’m not joking about 21:9 though:

Crazy to me, since that (and 16:10) are reducible fractions, but I guess some marketing department figured gamers wouldn’t understand aspect ratios unless they share either the numerator or denominator with 16:9 so you can compare more easily.

I like the way the film industry does it - everything has a denominator of 1. 1.43:1, 1.67:1, 1.85:1, 2.2:1, 2.35:1, easy.

9 Likes

grade-school math says it’s 32:5

2 Likes

reviewing portrait mode like

10 Likes

I want an Excel review of it

4 Likes

The only acceptable way to review it in portrait mode @beschizza, is to hook it up to a webcam, drop at least 300 mics of acid, and ask yourself what you think of it.

3 Likes

In portrait mode. Or space invaders in landscape.

8 Likes