The windshield barnacle is a replacement for the boot

That and “Parking enforcement is about safety” LOL

9 Likes

Wouldn’t a long metal ruler take care of that suction cup?

1 Like

Be sure to wrap the folded windshield in a Faraday Cage until you are ready for removal.

Alternatively, perhaps a “customer owned” windshield barnacle could be pre-emptively placed (much like a steering wheel club.)

8 Likes

If you want that device to work in my town, you better stick an opaque clamp over their phone too. Otherwise they might not notice.

Haw! I got a million of 'em.

7 Likes

Level 2 Sticker is my new skatepunk band name.

10 Likes

Maybe, but it’s pretty common all the same. I think the stickeree is expected to realize that he’s never going to get a cop to write a citation for the vandalism to his illegally parked car, and that the stickerer is basically saying “this time we let you off easy.”

I worked at a place in Boston that did this for certain egregious violations of their turf. I don’t know if it was official policy, but they only ever put them on the driver’s side window, I suppose on the theory that they didn’t want to delay the driver’s departure from the spot they were illegally occupying. At least one car I’d frequently see played a game of chicken with them and won, racking up three or four “NEXT TIME WE CALL THE TOW TRUCK” stickers.

Who would be “stealing” these? If you’ve pried it off your own car, you’re just going to toss on the side of the road, and drive off. With its alarm screaming, it’s in your best interest to be as far from it as possible. You’re not going to be driving around with it in your back seat. If it’s not on your car, why would you even mess with it? It’s not like you could sell it or pawn it.

1 Like

Captian Haddock returns to his illegally parked car…

17 Likes

I’ve seen big orange Violation stickers all the time. Not sure how permanent they are, though.

There was a George Carlin* bit about that. Something about being issued a dart gun with your license, and when you see someone driving like a jerk, you just shoot the car in the trunk. When the cops see a car with a bunch of them attached, they pull that car over and issue a ticket for being an asshole.

* Turns out it was Gallagher all along and my flaky memory conflated the bit into Carlin’s famous rants about driving. Damn it.

9 Likes

This is what it looks like underneath:

Pulling it off directly isn’t going to work, but you might be able to pierce the suction cups to remove the vacuum.

4 Likes

I think it was Gallagher that told the joke, during his rant about how normal humans transform into raving lunatics when behind the wheel.

1 Like

I wonder if they’re going to make a right-hand-drive version, with the writing inverted.

1 Like

So, if a vandal decides to steal this device the car owner will get blamed and charged? That seems like a big potential problem given that it is pretty much inevitable that this device will be hacked.

6 Likes

New product idea: removable clear plastic film to protect your windshield and stop these devices from working.

14 Likes

I’d like to believe it was Carlin, but it’s entirely possible I was wrong.

I guess I’m going to have to spend a few hours watching Carlin videos to try and find it. Darn.

Admittedly, the concept is about stupid people, so in my mind I’ve remembered it coming from Carlin, too.

2 Likes

Sorry, you’ve been beaten to the punch.

http://www.clearviewvisionarmorllc.com/windshield.php

4 Likes

It needs to be parked right up against the kerb with two clamps on the wheels on the right side (that you have the keys for, obviously).

This is clear evidence that humans seem to have an insatiable need to solve problems that don’t exist.

The boot is fine and works well enough. Just leave well enough alone.