The World's first robot hotel

I’m sorry to be such a wet blanket, but the first robot hotel opened up just outside of Sasebo, Japan near the fantastic Dutch amusement park, Huis Ten Bosch. Same company, just more than eight years earlier.

I guess more English speaking tourists would encounter a hotel in Ginza than Nagasaki prefecture, but I don’t think the Ginza branch had the option of being checked in by a dinosaur. And yes, a lot of humans still work at the hotel, but they do their best to keep the illusion going.

Anyhow, the whole region is underrated.

5 Likes

Shazam_Piano_Scene

8 Likes

Didn’t this kick off seven years ago?

Last I heard, it was pretty much shutting down because nothing was working correctly.

8 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking they could reduce their staff by a few people overall, but there’s still so much that requires people - cleaning, for one (the amount of labor saved by the use of glorified Roombas isn’t going to make a difference), not to mention the staff required to actually deal with customer issues (no AI is going to be good enough to deal with that), that it’s not much of a saving, and when you consider they now also need a dedicated tech support staff, I wonder if overall they need more people…

5 Likes

Are they actually robots, or remotely operated machines?

Pay no attention to the staff behind the curtain.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Unrelated but I actually know a couple of former Disney Imagineers who used that line when they got laid off after a project. If anyone could make good on that promise it would be them.

3 Likes

“Don’t bang on the glass! It enrages the robots!”

3 Likes

"World famous since the day we opened,
The Dosadan-GIup Robotnik welcomes you.
I am here to take your luggage —
Order me and I’ll help you!”

This was sung in a rich contralto voice to the accompaniment of a 200 piece brass band; a standard recording of all the Robotnik hotels. I hated it.

(Harry Harrison, The Stainless Steel Rat’s Revenge )

6 Likes

“Share and Enjoy! Share and Enjoy!”

3 Likes

This feels like the premise for a sci-fi horror movie…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.