Watch Japan's first robot bartender mix and serve a cocktail

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/04/watch-japans-first-robot-bar.html

3 Likes

Is this what the Boston Dynamics’ bots do before they’re drafted?

12 Likes

2e72u3

9 Likes

Not quite Cocktail level yet. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Surely it’s been done many times before?

6 Likes

Ugh. No thanks.

1. Takes way way too long for a simple mixed drink
  2. I don’t need some screen fake winking at me
  3. I don’t need a 6-year old girl’s voice explaining the intricacies of this plum sour soda. Gross (the voice, not the plum sour soda)
  4. A glorified vending machine (That takes too long) strips out the whole point of a bartender: a human smiling and connecting with you while pushing alcohol.
5 Likes

QGVa

23 Likes

And it’s been done with so much more flair:

10 Likes

Yeah, with Japan’s long history of using robots for just about everything I have a hard time believing this is really a “first” for them.

6 Likes

The Japanese seem weirdly attached to the idea of obtaining food and drink without any human interaction. There’s a Tokyo sushi bar I went to where each seating area has a touchscreen. You can select what you want and it’s delivered on a conveyor belt (which was kind of alarmingly fast, not the kind where sushi choices rotate around in front of you). There was another place, a ramen shop, where you got your ramen ticket from a vending machine, went into one of the little isolated booths that looked like a study carrel, and were delivered your ramen through a slot - you didn’t get to see any human on the other side.

1 Like

Seems it was also big in the US, once.

8 Likes

Obligatory

3 Likes

New York City was full of them. Great for night owls and people on late shifts.

3 Likes

plastic cup - obviously a fraternity house robot.

2 Likes

…so I said, the hell with her, I’m my own man. Fuckin’… fuckin’ tell me what to do with my own money, can you believe this?

I hear that.

And you know what gets me is the nerve, you know? Not “we can’t afford it.” Not “there’s something else I want.” No, it’s “but what if we get pregnant?” Like, THAT’S how she starts that conversation? I mean, Christ, what if I hadn’t wanted to buy an ATV? How was she going to tell me then?

I know, man. It's crazy.

Fuckin’ right it is. And the worst part is… hey, another Jack and Coke when you get the chance… the worst part is I want kids too. I love her. But I swear she goes out of her way to be “mysterious.” It’s like, woman, I’ve known you since middle school. It ain’t a question of mystery.

You said it, my friend. INITIATE MIXOLOGY ROUTINE 0000A023.

Anyway, I gotta take a leak.

I hear that.

I know man, it's crazy.

You said it, my friend.

I hear thaENTERING SLEEP MODE.
10 Likes

Well, on a positive note, it looks like Skynet is way behind schedule. Guess I’ll kick the ol’ proverbial can down to my grand-kids.

1 Like

About forty years ago there was a robot bartender, I think in Toronto. Jim Butterfield, of Commodore fame, was an investor or maybe more deeply involved.

I think it only mixed drinks, didn’t take money or give change. And no Eliza attachment, so it wouldn’t pretend to be listening by playing back words you’d just said.

2 Likes

I feel like half the pleasure of having a cocktail prepared is it, A.) being “lovingly” prepared by someone who cares… or, yuh know, who has the ability TO care; and, B.) I enjoy interacting with bartenders. Even the mean ones are fun people if you bother learning how to talk to them.

2 Likes

Can it make a coff o’ cuppee for my lady and a marnin grita?

1 Like
3 Likes