The Wow! signal may have been a pair of comets

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Ā Wow!

7 Likes

Dammit. Beat me to it by three minutes.
This is spectacular news if true.

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more, one puzzle solved. Go science!

But Iā€™m curious: If comets typically emit large clouds of hydrogen - why donā€™t we have more false positives? The HI line is one (if not the most) used frequency in astronomy (and SETI).

eta: from TFA

James Bauer of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, agrees that the hydrogen from comets can extend quite far, but still thinks the signal wonā€™t be strong enough. ā€œIf comets were radio-bright at 21 centimetres, I would be puzzled as to why they arenā€™t observed more often at those wavelengths,ā€ he says.
11 Likes

Butā€¦ I was hoping it was aliens D-;

6 Likes

Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™d guess that the ratio of Deuterium to Hydrogen would produce subtly different wavelengths.
Deuterium is basically Hydrogen, only heavier.
This ratio is how we know that Earth was not seeded with water by the likes of comet CG. So Iā€™d say that the general fingerprint of comets is known, and is taken into account.
Iā€™m not a physicist, but Iā€™d guess If two crossing comets had different wavelengths merging together, I suppose itā€™s possible that it may have produced an harmonic frequency, making a signal of interest.

1 Like

If it were aliens, that message would have already been 1500 to 25000 years old.

2 Likes

Um, yeah, but are you saying it still wouldnā€™t mean anything to know we arenā€™t alone in the universe? Or uh, werenā€™tā€¦

2 Likes

Oh no, not at all. That would be absolutely mind-blowingly brilliant. OTOH it would be finding a fossil, rather than an organism. Not something we could have a back-and-forth with. Any intelligent life is too marooned for that.
And although I believe life is plentiful in the cosmos, I think intelligent life is extremely rare, not inevitable at all.
Intelligence only arrived on Earth seconds ago in the big scheme of things. Life plodded along for millennia before us. I think it takes a perfect storm of factors, environmental, biological and cosmological to allow creatures such as us to evolve.
If the dinosaurs hadnā€™t been so rudely interrupted, itā€™s likely weā€™d never have happened.

1 Like

I was thinking about this the other day and, srsly, if your civilization has mastered what it would need to in order to ā€œpop by for a visitā€ - would they actually want to come here? I sure wouldnā€™t. It wouldnā€™t surprise me in the least to one day find that this blue marble has been blacklisted.

Not if they were Martians, mister smarty pants!

1 Like

Which ones then clever clogs?

Etc.

2 Likes

Actually,

4 Likes

Thereā€™s no arguing with that.

2 Likes

Probably true.

Thanks, Obama!

3 Likes

To be exact, it has roughly twice the mass (1N + 1P + 1e). Deuterium and tritium are the only isotopes whose masses are actually multiples of the principal isotope, which is why they are identified by special names. For such a common element, hydrogen has some of the weirdest properties.

4 Likes

Quite a small sample for such a categorical claim.

Also, do we count that bacterium that survived in a camera on the Moon as a life form on another planet?

2 Likes

Only one. And as @shaddack inferred, sample size is everything.
Here on Earth we have a sample size of millions of different organisms, over millions of years, and only one of them developed intelligence(1), and that seems to have only happened because small, shrew-like mammals got a lucky break. If the dinosaurs (amongst others) werenā€™t wiped out, Iā€™d wager my birth that Earth would still be a wild and overgrown place.

I think that itā€™s wrong to compare it to exceptionalism. Thatā€™s a strawman. Or possibly a red herring.

(1) As intelligence is a little slippery to define, Iā€™ve used ā€˜the ability to actually work out what those lights in the sky areā€™ as my yardstick.

In an infinite universe you can have an infinite number of intelligent-lifeform inhabited planetsā€¦ infinitely far part.

2 Likes