The Year We All Wore Kigurumi

#YOU ARE OLD

######time for your prostate exam

1 Like

#YOU ARE OLD 

1 Like

I haven’t seen any such thing in the wilds of Ann Arbor, either.

Anyone from Austin or Boulder care to report? If this really is a thing, you’d think those of us in the hipster-soaked college towns would see these everywhere.

I’ve had two. They came out fine.

I live in Somerville, a suburb of Boston that keeps making lists as “one of the hippest places for hipsters in America” for silly reasons. I have never seen anyone wearing kigurimi casually during the day, in grocery stores, coffeeshops, hipster cafes, or anything like that. But during any street festival, ‘fun run’ footrace, that sort of thing, there’ll be a few college-age girls in cutesy ones, or a dudebro wearing one to be ironic.

I saw them quite a bit around Sydney. Apparently they’re pretty popular there. There’d always be groups of friends wearing them out to pubs.

1 Like

My third is coming up next month. They’re … not unpleasant, actually. Just weird.

Wear an animal suit to the doctor. Then it will be weird for him, too!

6 Likes
  1. Just do whatever you want.
  2. These are stupid, but no more stupid than any other form of fashion.
  3. Don’t include me in “we all”. Like the year “we all” wore crocs?

I’m pretty sure the “we” refers to Nicole and her friends. It’s a story about Nicole, her friends, and their sudden infatuation with animal-shaped I’m-staying-in-the-whole-day-nyah clothes. Not culture in general.

4 Likes

A good friend of mine lived in Somerville for a few years. He said it reminded him of Ann Arbor, but you could actually give up your car there.

1 Like

Don’t deny it. We have pics.

$500 in a moneygram, or you can’t unlock your computer we post them in your avatar.

And they were so comfy, weren’t they.

3 Likes

Moneygram? This extortion is old school!

2 Likes

I really prefer to sleep in the cold. This means keeping the house temp down to 55F which is perfect for wearing warm clothes such as these. Plus it saves money!

1 Like

I blame Serial Experiments Lain.

1 Like

We’re near Seattle. One does occasionally see them around on teenagers at the mall. And my aforementioned spawn.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.