Things I miss: Garanimals

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/21/things-i-miss-garanimals.html

6 Likes

They sell them at walmart, but they’re really awful. Especially for girls. It’s leggings, ruffled skirts, and tshirts only :frowning:

11 Likes

I distinctly remember my mom trying to convince me to wear Garanimals when they first arrived on the scene. Like your daughter, I was nine. I was opposed to them because they weren’t Levis, and I thought the tag matching was a bit infantile and definitely not cool (even in rural Central California). My argument didn’t work because a) Levis cost way more, and b) I had to wear them for two academic years. :cry:

16 Likes

Garanimals are the perfect opportunity for the young and sartorial Dr. Moreau.

19 Likes

Garanimals definitely lost their cool once you were above a certain age.

5 Likes

I dunno. I know an awful lot of 30ish year old men who could use some sort of simplified “don’t dress like crap” mechanic.

24 Likes

As I recall, these came with a chocolate bar and a sticker. Both of which I appreciated. The back of my mother’s Dodge Dart was not quite so happy.

Am I confusing these with some other 70s children’s clothing line?

8 Likes

I’m sort of confused about what problem this solves. Don’t get me wrong, the animal-matching mechanic seems like fun, but was it really that hard to match pants and shirts according to 70s fashion protocols? Did those giant tags stay attached to the garments, so kids could pick out their own outfits (surely not)?

5 Likes

I’m speaking historically, and of my experience from grade school. Kids were teased for wearing them above a certain age.

For the adult crowd, there are plenty of fashion consultants and even websites that will curate and ship clothing to you, but in my experience many of those guys don’t care and don’t want to bother with it.

8 Likes

Yeah. People picked on me in grad school for wearing them.

16 Likes

I was spared garanimals, but sadly got hit with Toughskin jeans and cords. Complete with embarrassment-free iron-on patches for the knees when I started to wear through them.

9 Likes

My mom wouldn’t buy them for me because she thought they were dumb. I was really young, and wanted them because lions, man! Lions!

9 Likes

17 Likes

Which is why a “match the cthulu tags” approach would be of interest to them. If its as simple as buying a particular brand and matching some dead simple cue to make sure thing go together in a basic way I know plenty of people who’d be all over that. The same sort of guys who only buy blue jeans and t-shirts or polos in restricted color pallets so their entire wardrobe matches and they can just grab a fist full of cloths on their way out of the shower.

8 Likes

It does enforce walking on two legs as opposed to four.

5 Likes

Yeah, but walking around with eyeless sockets wailing about darkness does kind of take away from the convenience of it.

9 Likes

There was a tag sewn in next to the care instructions.

Speak for yourself.

The simplicity of matching a Soggoth with a Soggoth and going to work would get my day off to a better start.

9 Likes

I too, grew up a little too early for Garanimals and had to endure the Toughskins phase.
Though if I remember correctly, there was another company that was doing this before Garanimals, but didn’t market themselves quite as well.

Growing up in Wichita in the 1970’s was kind of a mixed blessing. On one hand, you had those cool, silky rayon shirts with the mother-of-pearl snaps they sold at Shepler’s (and once, a pair of square-toed motorcycle-styled boots). On the other hand, you had those awesome Billy the Kid jeans, which were rapidly pulled from clothing stores because of the moniker of the serial killer du jour, BTK.

7 Likes

I think it’d be preferred to people walking around with plaid ties on salmon polo shirts. A thing a friend of mine has done on more than one occasion.

Honestly it might be kind of a selling point for those metal kids.

3 Likes