Things I miss: Garanimals

Well, it’s not as if parents bought you a ton of clothes back in the day. I was the youngest of five, so I had hand-me-downs and there wasn’t anyone to hand off the clothes that I outgrew. (That was my mom’s retort about Levis; I grew too fast to justify the cost.)

Also, it wasn’t difficult memorizing which of the four tops went with the four pants. It was marketed as a tool to make shopping easier for everyone involved.

3 Likes

Wore those, too. :neutral_face:

1 Like
  1. I had a pair of those boots when I was 10. Loved 'em.

2. They pulled Billy the Kid jeans because of a contemporary serial killer, and not because Billy the Kid was also a serial killer?

9 Likes

I am capable of dressing myself for an appropriate business occasion though I find it a dreadful chore. Always have. I recall when I started my first serious professional gig my Mom offered to buy me a nice new suit and a few things to go with it. Perfectly happy to take her up on her offer, of course. I was packing to move and I said something to my Mom that if only these had garanimals, I’d be set.

When I was unpacking at my new place, I noticed that she had discretely coded small letters on various shirts and some of my khakis, etc., that I already had. Mom told me about it and of course I protested, “geeze, Mom, I’m xx years old, I can manage this.” But on the first day of work I gave it a go and–by god–those letters served me pretty damned well. A couple of my bosses even remarked on my bold, but professional, sartorial decisions. I never did tell them my secret.

21 Likes

Awww, that’s a sweet story!

6 Likes

My boys wore whatever t-shirt was on top of the stack, and whatever shorts were on top of the stack, from the ages 4 to 18. So did all their friends. Really, once you get down to it, they don’t give a shit.

One friend was befuddled by girls’ concern about how clothes fit. As far as he knew, shirts came in three sizes and they all fit.

12 Likes

All these memories bring a movie scene to mind…the protagonist takes a boy clothes shopping, but the subtext revolves around the boy being picked on at school - maybe even echoes of the protagonist’s past. I remember it being a very powerful scene, despite the mundane context.

However, I can’t remember what movie. Was it The Accidental Tourist? Paris, Texas?

2 Likes

My sartorial choices are all made by the easy system of “my clothes are all random stuff I was given, found in the street, or bought for a couple of dollars”. It keeps me more or less covered.

2 Likes

I’m really not sure why you keep talking to me about this when my original comment was about how kids were bullied for wearing Garanimals when I was in school.

Something about your initial comment inspired. Otherwise I just keep hitting reply.

Though come to think of it adult garanimals would likely join neck beards and certain brim hats as objects of popular disdain. So maybe adults will keep getting picked on for wearing them over the ege of 8.

1 Like

After getting a guy to care, you have to get him to care enough to expend effort on it. :laughing: I tried to help a guy who had gotten to the caring part (vaguely) buuuut.

2 Likes

Ok, well your original response to me was “I dunno.[it could be a great idea for adult men]”. Which is fine, but I never said it was a bad concept in the first place.

1 Like

Braggin’ Dragons! I had a whole wardrobe full of those shitty Izod knockoffs.

4 Likes

While I get what you’re saying, I honestly don’t get why someone would actually do that. I can’t say that I’m completely oblivious to the clothing that the students (grad or otherwise) are wearing, but they either have to be something that appeals to my geek sense of style (“Hey, Firefly! Alright!”) or something that I might be interested in wearing myself. (“That’s a lovely skirt. Where did you get it and does it come in my size?”) I might notice if a student was naked, but even that’s kind of a toss up. The idea that someone may be wearing something unsuited to their age range is simply incomprehensible to me.

2 Likes

I was part of the Garanimals generation but never had them and don’t know if any of my friends had them. What I really remember are Kangaroo shoes. Velcro instead of laces! My days of not being able to tie my own shoes were finally over.

The mention of Izod reminds me of the joke about the friendly alligator who goes to Heaven and wants only two things: to play golf and a shirt with a little stitched man.

7 Likes

Looks like a row of tiny golfers.

I wear whatever is on top of the stack too. Sometimes this can cause issues

6 Likes

Your Mom sounds awesome!

2 Likes

Odd. I remember the name, but the whole animal tag style match deal made no impression. Was I, as a tween nerd, just so interested in clothing adverts that they slipped through my brain w/o leaving a trace?

If so, why do I remember Underoos commercials?

FWIW my mom did a substantial amount of kid- clothes shopping at “Sally’s” (Salvation Army thrift store).

4 Likes

Did they have a little zippered pocket as well? (Or velcroed pocket?) I have a pair of those in my emergency kit. Terribly worn out but intact. They MIGHT have some cash in the little pockets!

4 Likes