Things I miss: Garanimals

I remember hearing the name, but I always thought it was “Grr-Animals”

How about that, the name is from the company name which is Garan, Inc.

Garan was incorporated in 1957 as a merger of seven companies…Its name originated from management coining “Guarantee” as the name for a new T-shirt but instead deciding to use the first part of the word as the corporate title.

3 Likes

The brought these back a few years ago.

http://www.kangaroos.com

Though they only seem to be available at Payless, and they don’t seem to make men’s shoes.

They stayed totally boss well into the 90s. I heard Billy totally keeps a condom in his.

3 Likes

I’ve always gone by the dictum of fashion is what I happen to be wearing at the moment

3 Likes

Yes they did. That’s where I kept small change. It’s really the Velcro lacing that made them great though. Even as an adult I have trouble keeping my shoes tied.

2 Likes

I had some Garanimals as a little kid, but by the time I was in school, ‘matching clothes’ on guys wasn’t a thing to really worry about. To be honest, by about 5th grade or so, if it looked like your clothes ‘matched’ in any way – if it looked like you spent more than thirty seconds throwing something on – you were obviously gay and effeminate and should be beaten up. So like most kids I made it a point not to ‘match’ my clothes whatsoever.

3 Likes

I cared WAY more about Underoos than I did about whether my pants somehow ‘matched’ my shirt. I never understood that as a kid. It’s still sort of mysterious to me.

Happily, someone finally got smart and brought back the Underoos brand for grownups.

2 Likes

Come to think of it, this would make a perfectly workable B plot in some office comedy, where the upstart young man is trying to impress the woman he fancies, but must hide the fact that his Mom – in effect – dresses him.

4 Likes

I believe I learned as early as sixth grade that any top I wanted to wear went with jeans–a policy I still live by today. And it’s kind of nice to know that I may soon be helping support local indigo growers who are giving up growing tobacco.

3 Likes

I had a manager in the early 80’s who graduated to designer labels.

That. And…

Brown Shoes - Brown Belt.
Black Shoes - Black Belt.

Don’t own any other colors of shoes and you are safe.

1 Like

EXACTLY. To a lot of guys (in my experience), if they don’t care, they don’t care. Not worth the effort. Maybe they vaguely care if someone tells them they should, but that’s not really how they feel. If and when they do care, they’re gonna spend time & energy on it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.