The Zodiac Killer's final cryptogram solved

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/12/the-zodiac-killers-final-cryptogram-solved.html

2 Likes

at least five people in 1968 and 1968

@MissCellania you probably want to fix that. :wink:
(And then I’ll delete this comment.)

4 Likes

Pah. That’s not even close.

6 Likes

Congrats to the three guys, especially to Oranchak, who worked on it for over 13 years. This must be a big relieve for him.
This really gives me hope that Cicada 3301’s Liber Primus can be be solved soon. A few people are on it consitently and can’t let it go. It looks so much easier (in terms of knowledge about the structure of the cipher) than the Zodiac cipher, but no progress has been made since 6 years. New ideas and brilliant minds are always welcome!
I only relapse once or twice a year, but when I do I can’t sleep for 3 days until I’m able to give up again…

12 Likes

FBI confirms Zodiac Killer’s 340 cipher solved by trio of amateur math and software codebreakers

In a statement distributed via Twitter on Friday, the FBI confirmed the cipher had indeed been undone.

7 Likes

A bit of a letdown.

Major General John Sedgwick said it better, “…They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.”

Although in an existential way, the retorts are kind of similar…

2 Likes

No tip-off to the identity of the killer? It looks like Ted Cruz escapes justice again. /s

20 Likes

Drink moar Ovaltine?!

22 Likes

Check your spelling, dumbass

7 Likes

People are suggesting that the ending should be read as

I AM NOT AFRAID BECAUSE I KNOW THAT MY NEW
LIFE WILL BE AN EASY ONE
IN PARADICE DEATH IS LIFE

So it seems like his thinking was that the people he murdered would be his slaves in heaven…?

13 Likes

That and the odd spelling was all part of his “ethos” yes. A very dark and terrifying specimen of humanity, he was.

10 Likes

I wish I could, but that’s beyond my ability at this point. My apologies.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what he thought, and he fucked up the end of his stupid letter, the dumbass

2 Likes

Misleading title - there’s still more ciphers from Zodiac that aren’t solved, so saying this is the “final” one isn’t really true.

3 Likes

But this was Zodiac’s final cryptogram. The title made sense to me.

2 Likes

Except it wasn’t even the final one he made. This one was mailed out in 1969. He sent more in 1970.

2 Likes

But other than the “name” cypher, this was the last one that was encrypted, IIRC.

2 Likes

Came here for that. Leaving satisfied.

3 Likes

[Insert “Mathematicians arguing in Fermat” joke here]

3 Likes

The last line is actually, “Dictated but not read”

6 Likes