There are 82 new Christmas movies this year

Wife and I watched a few over the years. They’re comfort food. You know the plot, you know that Candace Cameron Bure, Lacy Chabert, or Danica McKellar are going to get the Generic Handsome Man at the end, and you still watch.

3 Likes
4 Likes

9 Likes

Don’t forget the BlackAdder version. Truly heartwarming.

8 Likes

There just aren’t enough Christmas movies which go to Hell…

1 Like

Now that’s a movie I would watch…right after The Long Kiss Goodnight. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Fun fact: Bill Murray’s ending speech was not in the script at all. When he suddenly launched into it during shooting, writer Michael O’Donoghue thought he was having a breakdown.

11 Likes

Did not know that. Excellent fact.

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard via interviews over the years, that’s pretty standard for Bill Murray; he was constantly going ‘off the cuff’ during filming of many of movies.

8 Likes

Die Hard 1__It's just not christmas until Hans Gruber falls

8 Likes

True, and he had apparently been improvving throughout the picture. I gather that the speech was very radically different from what was planned. (And of course, writer Mr. Mike was no doubt grousing as well.)

4 Likes

How could I forget? Leading inevitably to this:

7 Likes

I just learned that it’s become a tradition of sorts for right-wing pundits to explain that we’ve all been wrong about who the heroes and villains of classic Christmas stories are, unironically penning op-eds in defense of pre-redemption Scrooge and Old Man Potter.

I confess that I may have occasionally empathized with the Grinch but mostly because I can see why someone might choose to spend the holidays alone with his dog rather than partake in an annual ritual of noisy consumerism.

5 Likes

The Grinch could have solved his problem by investing in noise cancelling ear-plugs; he didn’t have to resort to B&E, & grand theft.

9 Likes

Yeah I do believe there was some kind of lesson in there about how burglary is wrong.

Though if he had a good lawyer he could probably beat the “Breaking and Entering” charges since he entered through the chimney, Santa-style.

6 Likes
2 Likes

1979. Not 1997.

The prototypical Christmas slasher movie:

4 Likes

As long as it’s not Silent Night, Deadly Night, or any of the ill-advised sequels.

That shit was pure-D AWFUL, even by B-horror movie standards.

4 Likes

Treat yourself to this. I used to think it was a Xmas thing but it turns out to be a New Year tradition in Germany. You old hands may well be familiar with it already, but for anyone who’s never heard of it, this is 10 minutes of your life absolutely not wasted…

7 Likes