There are 82 new Christmas movies this year

6 Likes

"…and four (count 'em, FOUR) movies with LGBTQ themes. "

That sounds like a promising development, unless the LGBTQ characters are all the villains, or get their comeuppance, or learn to live decent, normal lives like God intended.

1 Like

Ach. Hab’ ich nicht gewußt. Urkomisch und seltsam.
Danke!

1 Like

I’d still like to have one of those educational nuclear power plant kits.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I only just saw Black Christmas this year, and while I don’t think it’s the classic some do, it’s still very good, with the always surreal spectacle of seeing one of the original SCTV players (Andrea Martin) in a non-comedy role.

2 Likes

82 new movies?! Christmas movies non-stop for over two months?!

That’s enough treacle to send a small city into diabetic shock, enough saccharine to fill a cancer ward!!

4 Likes

And you don’t have to watch any of those to know that the worst one of all time will still be Love Actually.

3 Likes

I have a bit of an issue at labeling any of these “christmas” movies. These are “romance” movies. And frightfully dull and forgettable ones at that. You could take the scripts of any of them, swap out the words “christmas”, “cookie” and “tree” for “4 of july”, “fireworks”, and “sparklers”, and not need to change pretty much anything else in the script, and you’ve got the exact same movie (singular, not plural, as all these lifetime and hallmark movies are really the same damn movie endlessly remade over and over again)

There is little to nothing in any of them which has anything to do with Christmas. Made-it-big-in-the-city lawyer/developer/investment banker returns to the hometown they fled after high school to sell the store/farm/bakery their late parents/aunt/uncle left them, and fall in love with the local firefighter/shopgirl, and decide to save the failing store/farm/bakery instead. And never an actual appearance of any actual Santa, reindeer, elf, or talking toy.

I’d much rather see a movie about Santa, or even Santa’s kid (who is supposed to take over the Xmas Eve sleigh-ride thing), or a movie about the elves, or reindeer, or little kids staking out the fireplace on xmas eve with a big net.

2 Likes

It always amazed me how almost any significant musical artist would eventually produce a Christmas album of some kind.

Is it the lure of basically guaranteed money?

Nothing’s gonna ever top the Run DMC one though

6 Likes

Sounds like the one I mentioned above. On my list.

Submitted for your approval (unless you were referring to them already):

If you want a movie to watch with kids, these actually aren’t awful, especially Arthur.

2 Likes

Nope. You won.

3 Likes

And Tiny Tim still suffers from his gangrenous leg and dies before he’s 10

3 Likes

I think Bill Murrays speech at the end of Scrooged ruins the movie. And it just rambles on, and on, and on. Makes sense now that it was improvised

3 Likes
5 Likes

WTAF did I just watch?

6 Likes

It’s not just that Christmas albums are guaranteed, but it can be a seller every year for a long time.

And few such albums are songs written by the artists. They’ll write a new song or two, then the rest are classics. Sometimes it does seem weird, “counterculture” artists being very mainstream.

Of course, there are songs related to Christmas that aren’t really Christmas. Wioody Guthrie’s “1913 Massacre” and Laura Nyro’s “Christmas in My Soul” off “Christmas and the beads of Sweat” from Nov 1970. There are others.

3 Likes

“2000 Miles” by the Pretenders?

1 Like

I hear those sleigh bells ca chingaling bling ca chingaling ca ching.
Christmas is truly a holiday fuelled by dopamine.

2 Likes

Happy was fantastic. I’m still getting over that there won’t be a third season.

2 Likes

2020 just keeps giving.

2 Likes