'There are more important things than living' —TX Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on COVID-19 deaths

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/21/there-are-more-important-thi.html

4 Likes

One of the biggest potential political upsets on the foreseeable future for American politics is the possibility of Texas flipping from a red state to a blue one. Looks like Lt. Governor Patrick is doing his best to make that happen sooner than later.

54 Likes

Well, he is free to do more important things than living for all I care.

54 Likes

Sadly, there are those who’ll agree with this high priest of the Mammon death cult.

15 Likes

Well, Texas did give us Molly Ivins, and Anne Richards was one of the best governors the state had… and then that idiot came along and took over the governor’s mansion. And made the way for his successors, the idiot who thinks wearing glasses makes him smart, and the petty lout who thinks sitting in a wheelchair gives him a license to be mean-spirited.

10 Likes

‘There are more important things than living’

Unless you’re a woman seeking an abortion. Then, there’s nothing more important.

53 Likes

Does anyone know what “pro-life” even means…?

24 Likes

Yes, before the lockdown, 2M people were going to die. After the nationwide lockdown was implemented, this number shrank to 60K. What gives, Science? Clearly the lockdown was a grievous mistake.

Edit: I’m commenting on the start of the clip. Wasn’t able to make myself watch all the way through to the quote on ‘living’.

13 Likes

“forced birth”.

14 Likes

I think it’s obvious from context that what he meant was “There are more important things than CERTAIN PEOPLE living.” I mean, obviously important people should continue to live or otherwise there wouldn’t be anyone to reap the rewards of this perverse economic system.

32 Likes

true face of the invisible hand

41 Likes

Sounds a lot like xtianist fundamentalism.

“Humanity is corrupt and evil from the start. This life is ephemeral, practically not even real. Store up your treasures in heaven, because that eternal life makes our lives here on earth meaningless. There’s more important things than living. Like spreading the gospel to unwilling colonized peoples.”

20 Likes

The GOP has become a death cult

30 Likes

My reply to all of them is “you first”!

23 Likes

Although if it’s true this is hitting communities of color the hardest, it could be that they are looking to thin out opposition via pandemic.

22 Likes

And always with the hypocrisy.

“Store up your treasures in heaven” = telling poor people to be okay with being poor while you sit in your McMansion planning your next private jet getaway to a resort where a weekend stay is more than the yearly rent for an apartment for those poor people.

30 Likes

Pissed off? Yes.
Surprised? No.

Staying on the top of my scratch emacs file for easy cut and paste

14 Likes

The GOP has been a death cult ever since they hitched their wagon to America’s biggest death cult, protestant evangelisism.

14 Likes

Well, more like when white conservative protestant evangelicalism hooked up one drunken night with some Ayn Rand libertarian acolytes…

27 Likes

Indeed. When you’re asking others to make sacrifices, it’s important to lead by example. I notice that he’s still alive, though, which means he must be lying.

19 Likes