There are now five oceans on Earth, proclaims National Geographic

Originally published at: There are now five oceans on Earth, proclaims National Geographic | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That’s odd, because if you’d have asked me I’d have said 5 and included the Southern Ocean.

I mean, it’s been called the Southern Ocean for a long time, so why does it only count as an ‘ocean’ now?

10 Likes

the real truth is that there’s only ONE global ocean that covers 71 percent of the Earth’s surface

4 Likes

I think this is a push to bring the Southern Ocean into common knowledge. I’m not sure that I knew about it until I heard of this designation and I’m about obsessed with water as it comes.

5 Likes

The fifth ocean is Pluto.

12 Likes

Also newly discovered in the 5th ocean is a gyre of dirt, rock, snow, and penguin poop that is mistaken for a continent.

2 Likes

Apparently, the phrase “Seven Seas” isn’t geographically correct, then, overcounting by 40% as it does. I’ll bet someone gets in trouble over that.

2 Likes

Because, for those of us who still love paper atlases, the National Geographic has our number.

1 Like
4 Likes

Not many people use this phrase today, but you could say that the modern Seven Seas include the Arctic, North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Pacific, South Pacific, Indian, and Southern Oceans.
However, our oceans are more commonly geographically divided into the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, and Southern (Antarctic) Oceans.

The ancient Greeks had another definition, and the medieval europeans a third.

Last updated 02/26/21

NGS was late to the party.

3 Likes

Hopscotch songs has been wise for 3 years…

1 Like

Pluto right now.
Max Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

2 Likes

I heard those were made of rye.

1 Like

Nat Geo has really gone downhill since the Cock Brothers bought it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.