There is a federal criminal investigation into Facebook's data-sharing deals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/14/there-is-a-federal-criminal-in.html

The Eastern District of New York empaneled a Grand Jury into the dirty data dealings of Facebook.

3 Likes

Still using facefuckingbook? You’re not paying attention…

13 Likes

Aren’t we locking the door after the entire animal kingdom has bolted?

6 Likes

Well, it’s not like not using Facebook keeps you safe from their data collection…

20 Likes

Man, there are some odd faces going in that header pic Xeni.

Like a criminal vibe shockwave effect.

6 Likes

The beatings will continue until data abuse carries with it costly liabilities.

Who is beating whom?

The tail wags the dog.

4 Likes

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend’s Name]: What? How’d you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don’t know why.
Zuck: They “trust me”
Zuck: Dumb fucks

5 Likes

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/dogs

5 Likes

Yet another example of why that UK Parliament subcommittee referred to Facebook as “digital gangsters”

Companies that accumulate information about you regard that information as their own corporate asset.

I was reading a recent interview with Wes Kussmaul, founder of Delphi & Global Villages and now with The Authenticity Alliance. They have designed an Authenticity Infrastructure, one component of which is MyOwnInformation, a digital “file cabinet” where users store their information and can control access via digitally signed personal nondisclosure agreements with anyone who wants to use that information.

My hope is that companies will adopt their procedures and we can break away from companies like Facebook.

1 Like

Meanwhile, the credit rating companies collect gigatons of data on us, and they sell it to anyone and everyone, and they can literally ruin peoples’ lives with what they say about us, and yet we have no right to opt out, to put any limits on what they collect, or to even know what they say about us or how the create their “ratings.” When the BLEEP is the @%!%$ government going to do something about that?

iirc your credit rating is relativelty benign (basically income, addressed, debt had/paid)

I worry more about data brokers than credit scoring. Credit scores are kind of idiotic - someone who pays their grocery bill each month (300) is the same as someone who spends 50k a year and pays it off. In fact the 50k may be rated less because they have high utilization of their credit line

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.