There was a 'Battle of the Planets' movie

Thankfully, the live-action version of my other childhood anime staple was pretty kick-ass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIrApvq1YXw

k9-laser

7 Likes

I think also it had a US release just as Gatchaman (no science ninjas). So maybe they tried permutations of all these different names to see what worked?

Probably. I hear that all the Zark malarkey was added by the US market because of Star Wars - and wasn’t he voiced by Casey Kasem or something? (haven’t bothered to google)

2 Likes

And a pretty cool reboot, a few years ago…

2 Likes

As a kid, I enjoyed the soundtrack, so I wrote to Sandy Frank Productions to ask if recordings existed. And they sent me a little package with a cassette of the music! Ultra-cool.

9 Likes

“When I was a kid customer service meant something!”
That is a totally awesome story, I would have been overjoyed.

2 Likes

Because R2D2 and C3PO never rocked theme music like this.

3 Likes

The memories are flooding back!

He also was a source of exposition for the scenes that had to be cut for content (violence, nudity) considered inappropriate for American kid’s TV.

3 Likes

Jason was Han Solo before Han Solo

4 Likes

Another reboot apparently. I recall coming across a more traditional anime looking Gatchaman 2000.

2 Likes

That video looked unwatchable… but I want to watch!

1 Like

Goes to Fiery Phoenix

Same here.

1 Like

BotP and Star Blazers what great things to hold your imagination as a child. So crunchy to watch as an adult though.

I will kill you with feather quills! Condor Joe is da beast.

<3 <3 <3

1 Like

I wonder how that worked; I mean, each episode re-used the same animated segments repeatedly. If each episode’s battles consisted of the same footage over and over, how did they make a whole feature from it?

Oh, man, that is truly, truly wonderful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.