There's a Hawaiian shirt of Chunk doing the "Truffle Shuffle"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/theres-a-hawaiian-shirt-of-c.html

5 Likes

This is a must have, Xmas is right around the corner.

2 Likes

Recursion challenge calling.

3 Likes

I was wondering about that scene. My son is chubby, and I wanted to watch the Goonies with him. I also didn’t want him to come away with the idea that being chubby as a kid is anything to be ashamed of. We talked about how many chubby kids don’t become fat adults, and how people have different bodies etc.

I think it worked. He isn’t too upset about being heavy. When he passed six feet and 250 at age 13 people stopped picking on him and started begging him to play football (not gonna happen).

It’s a problematic scene, like a lot of material from the eighties (Long Duk Dong, anybody?). But I still love the movie. I’m glad to hear the young actor had someone concerned with his well-being and determined to help him avoid developing a complex about it.

10 Likes

Kids can be evil.

2 Likes

I prefer this (officially licensed) Hawaiian shirt:

But Chunk was one of the better characters in the film, not that there were bad characters. He gets some really good scenes, including the blender one.

I was beyond the demographics when it came out, but I’ve watched it a lot. I think it’s the setting in the North West, there’s nothing like a beach in Oregon at low tide in the fog. But Astoria history includes my great, great, great grandfather, who was there in 1811 when Fort Astoria went up, something I only discovered ten years ago. So he might have been in the history of Astoria exhibit, the one mentioned at the beginning of the film, theg pirate artifacts being leftovers.

But when is it our time?

3 Likes

Having been a “husky” elementary school kid when Goonies came out, gotta say I always loved Chunk.

1 Like

I never viewed the scene necessarily as fat shaming, more like kids picking on their annoying friend but that’s my personal take on it and i’m sure others interpret it differently. However the rest of the movie does focus on plenty of other gags around Chunk and his love for food and i’d say those other scenes are more problematic than the truffle shuffle itself.

let the recursion begin!

3 Likes

Now all we need is a screen grab of a tweet of a picture of the original actor wearing a shirt with Deadpool on it that’s wearing the hawaiian shirt of Chunk doing the truffle shuffle.

3 Likes

I think Chunk is actually wearing a Hawaiian shirt with Chunk on it in the movie.

and the Chunk on the shirt is wearing a Hawaiian shirt with Chunk on it.

and that Chunk…

Well… you get the idea…

3 Likes

Also, the entertainment industry really does thrive on degradation.

5 Likes

I remember the first time I saw that scene as a kid and thinking, “He’s not acting, that’s real pain.” I always wondered what happened to him later in life and now I know, thanks BB! :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.