There's a new news aggregator called "Knewz" and I can't believe they actually called it that

OK, zuludaddy. Dig that boingboing.

I guess it’s nice to have an uglier alternative to FARK.COM

For thousands of years we have just lived with duplicate names. How many Springfields are there?

Sometimes name collisions are not a problem, I’ve met someone that has the exact same first middle and last name as I do. We were born and live in the same state about a decade apart. This has basically had no impact on my life, I only met him because I randomly met his brother and he commented on it.

Some times name collisions are a bigger issue, the town I grew up in had in the past changed its name twice because another town in the same state already had that name. As communication got faster it became more important for towns to have more distinct names.

With trademark law as it’s been interpreted recently the only safe choice for an international website is to pick a name that has never been used before. (probably with good reason)

1 Like

I’ve used element removal for so long that I forgot that adblockers sometimes leave white spaces.

Yup. Ugly…

For an actually DECENT news aggregator, this one’s my favorite. Customizable. Color coded by topic. If the text is larger, it’s more current. Hover over a headline and it expands. Click on the headline to get more.

Wonderful design.

https://newsmap-js.herokuapp.com/

1 Like

Sunflowers, honey bees, daffodils, daisys, daisies, Daisy´s black and yellow tutu; Danger! Danger! Danger!

1 Like

I stopped reading when I saw the words ‘News Corp stable’ because like most stables it’s probably full of shit.

6 Likes

That’s interesting. I’m not sure I’ll find it useful on my phone, but it was fun watching it resize everything,

I generally just use Google News when using an aggregator. I’m wondering if people find that lacking?

I also have the New York Times app on my phone, which I read often. But in general I find Google News to be pretty useful as an overview with the occasional spooky spot-on recommendation.

I find Google News uses Fox headlines far too often for my appetite.

1 Like

I was thinking it was more like the Drudge Report but with a lot of yellow for the kind of journalism it has.

1 Like

There’s a new news aggregator called “Knewz” and I can’t believe they actually called it that

Sophomoric brainstorms can be held back only so long before they must be realized. :slightly_smiling_face:

Agreed. But I find it somewhat interesting to see what the latest Faux News talking points are.

1 Like

Maybe they have hundreds of variations on this site with AI generated names.

I wonder if the name and styling are intentionally lame. Some sort of Rupert Murdoch signal to his dimwitted audience that “hey look, this thing is clunky and lame and you won’t be at all threatened by it’s slickness, or even it’s professionalism. Come on in, you’ll be comfortable here!”

Well, they have the cash for the bandwidth, but I’m not sure what the point would be.

Maybe WHOGNU ?

3 Likes

Don’t fight it. Let it happen. Let it wash over you and through it, you will be born aknewz.

3 Likes

Wow.

This…forces me to contextualize…my feelings about the Tribune’s “tronc” incident.

And that stylesheet should probably be taken out and burned, lest it spread.

I spent an hour earlier today at Knewz and, sigh, I wouldn’t call it an “aggregator.” Seems to me that it’s a laundry, a laundry that dyes what passes through it with Murdoch. Try searching for a few stories that you know well. You’ll find, I think, that what comes up in Knewz, in what order, and what’s missing, skews hard right and various hot/important subjects are skewed in ways that reenforce a News Corp view of the world.

Type “Joe Biden” in right now and, ta da, the number one story is from Breitbart (sigh, just putting Breitbart out there as news is a laundry) saying that Biden might chose “Michelle Obama as his running mate and put Barak on the Supreme Court.” The top ten list for Biden is mostly like that. Biden’s twisting the primaries, Biden’s making backroom deals, Biden’s hiding Hunter and a half of the Ukraine on his campaign bus and . . . it goes on and on. It’s all “news”, I guess. The articles exist. But . . . in addition to laundering propaganda from places like Breitbart, and prioritizing right wing noise about Biden, it makes it almost impossible to find actual Biden news.

It’s not just Biden, of course, any number of hot button topics have results that look carefully crafted to make the world look it looks on Fox News and/or it generally encourage readers to throw their hands up. Lots of neutral topics have a largely uncurated and fairly straightforward look which makes the whole business seem almost legitimate (though, again, having sources like Breitbart and The Blaze along side actual news organizations is a kind of laundry itself). But, topics that matter, topics/subjects/events that someone might turn to an aggregator to get a sense of what’s going on the world serve up news that strongly suggests the world is more like Fox News than it actually is.

7 Likes