There's going to be a Mister Rogers documentary in 2018

If you hadn’t posted this, I would have. There’s my hero: He’s taking on a room of hostile conservatives, bent on defunding public broadcasting, and he talks quietly for a while, and answers some questions, and they all but carry him out of the room on their shoulders.

ps: Over at YouTube, there is a series of videos, or maybe audios would be more accurate as there is no real information on the video track, of his LP “Tomorrow on the Children’s Corner.” I don’t know the person who posted them, but they come from a rip I made from a cassette copy of the (coverless) LP my cousin’s then-girlfriend had saved since childhood. It’s pretty much a mini-opera, with songs by Rogers (and Milton DeLugg leading the band). He doesn’t appear as himself, but his character voices are on there, and it’s a trip. A blog called “Way Out Junk” posted it originally, and though their links are dead, they’ve got good info. Among other delights, there’s a meow meow meow song from Henrietta, and an affirmation song from X the Owl, which is later parodied memorably by Lady Elaine Fairchild: “…I’m a broken tooth, Darling. I-I-I-'m special!”

I used to make fun of the man, and then I grew up.

6 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.

Mr. Roger’s Cardigan - Smithsonian Museum

8 Likes

Interestingly, both stories remind me of a friend that died this year. She was both one of the most genuinely nice people I know, and somebody who could be very snarky when she put her mind to it.

2 Likes

I recently learned something interesting about his speedy delivery guy Mr. McFeely.

“McFeely” was Fred Rogers’ middle name.

Do you think he’d even get a pilot on air in 2017 with an adult male character named McFeely?

4 Likes

Urban legend, not factual.

Also a likely urban legend, but one I want to believe.

4 Likes

I was missing a sarcasm tag :sweat_smile:

(it was actually Bob Ross that was the bad-ass military dude)

4 Likes

Not according to the documentary series Black Dynamite :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So I’ve recently learned.

3 Likes

Warning, if you haven’t watched that episode of S05E15 of Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood from 1972 and feel strongly about that, there’s spoilers below :wink:

So the Judge lets him off because he was getting change for the meter? A judge who repeatedly upholds the spirit of the law is completely unrealistic. Suspension of disbelief ruined!

4 Likes

I know, right? A judge taking into account fairness and circumstances? I guess it was a different time back then.

I had also completely forgotten that in this episode the citizenry of Make-Believe unite in protest against King Friday. (Not a joke.)

4 Likes

No way, cardigans should have buttons, not zippers! Both are better than the current ungodly fad of cardigans with no fasteners at all!

2 Likes

Actually…it depends. shepard-like bodhisatvas in Mahayana buddhism willingly keep reincarnating because they could achieve enlightenment and leave samsara, but wish to help all other sentient beings do the same first.

5 Likes

That does sound like him, doesn’t it.

2 Likes

Mr. Rogers was a huge reason why everday people have the right to record TV shows!

This article gives a lot of the background, but in short when Universal Studios sued Sony to stop the sale of VCRs, Mr. Rogers testified in favor of VCRs, saying that he thought it was just fine for parents to record his show so their kids could watch it later. The Supreme Court cited Mr. Rogers’s testimony when they ruled in favor of Sony:

We need more Mr. Rogers in our lives.

6 Likes

He also said he thought Eddie Murphy’s parody of his show was funny. He said he thought it wasn’t the right thing for little kids because they might get confused, but he had no problem with grownups watching it and wasn’t offended at all.

9 Likes

Some stories are so good that I really, really want to believe them, whether they’re true or not.

1 Like

His ability to wear a sweater is independent of the type of fasteners.

The man looked good.

Oh, the stories Mr. McFeely could tell…

Or perhaps… the stories that could be told? :worried:

3 Likes

Because he was just that cool.

I am certain somewhere in a secret benevolent mad scientist’s lab, someone is trying to save the world with vats of Fred Rogers clones.

1 Like