There's now a subscription service for fancy ice pops

maybe she Wears [Her] Sunglasses at Night

4 Likes

Remember when Whole Foods re-named the good, old-fashioned ingredient widely known as ‘sugar’ to the more obscure ‘evaporated cane juice’ ? I knew what it was, because it was on the nutritional contents of sticky junk food. My then boss didn’t know it, and she would rave on and on about how she was buying a much superior product because it didn’t have any sugar in it.

American Council on Science and Health article on euphemism

But, it’s okay when the lie comes from Whole Foods.

5 Likes

Yes, that video told me everything I care to know about this phenomenon.
I’m done now. You can stop.

2 Likes

There’s a slew of shenanigans as far as renaming sugar

7 Likes

I have some of these things, not these exact ones (how’d they get so expensive? I’m sure I didn’t pay more than a couple of bucks for mine, at the big-box grocery store…must have been longer ago than I think…$6.50’s not too bad now, I guess…)

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Ice-Pop-Maker/dp/B00KQO5WQ2/ref=sr_1_61?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1528815109&sr=1-61&keywords=ice+pop+molds

Anyway, it’s lots of fun to experiment with different fruit and/or juice combinations :smiley:

7 Likes

Sorry, I’m not cool enough to pollute the world with even more microplastics.

33210282_608294189538344_4933481254759694336_n

7 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s owned by a former investment banker. I’m sure he has the product and the consumer first and second in his mind.

7 Likes

I’m going to withhold judgment until I know whether they have any customers. The existence of the product, by itself, only proves there are a dozen or so utter cretins out there, and I already knew that. If they’re still in business after a year, then we’ll know the problem is more serious.

5 Likes

Well, they are still targeting the not rich, the not young, and the not good looking too, but only those who desperately want to be rich, young, and good looking.

1 Like

I’ve only ever been one of those three things, and spending money on crap like this decreases my odds even further of ever becoming one of the remaining two, so…

4 Likes

I know a 4 year old who didn’t like orange juice, or so she claimed, but orange pops (the same OJ, frozen) was just fine.

3 Likes

Woman Laughing Alone with Salad Ice Cream Pops

5 Likes

That’s a lot of sugars, but they’re not all interchangeable chemically or biochemically. Or in baking.

1 Like

As a kid we had these and i used it all the time. Would routinely make blended smoothies in the blender and freeze them, or freeze chocolate milk or juices. The plus of doing it as an adult is that you can add booze.

6 Likes

True, not all of them are 1 to 1 substitutes but i have noticed that some foods will rename sugar a bunch of times if they’re sourcing it from different means. I think i spotted something that had like 5 or 6 different sources of sugar, wish i remembered what though.

2 Likes

Does that keep them from freezing though??

4 Likes

I’ve found like six types of sugar in muesli/granola bars… could it have been something like that? From memory, they were apricot and nut bars with a chocolate-coated base and had fructose, glucose, honey, sugar plus one or two other sugars I can’t remember now.
Ah, it was these: Tasti brand nut bars. Ingredients: Nuts (48%) (Peanuts (43%), Cashews (5%)), Maltodextrin, Fruit (12%) (Dried Apricot (6%) (Preservative (220)), Coconut (6%) (Preservative (223 or 220)), Milk Choc Compound (12%) (Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Milli Solids,Cocoa Powder, Emulsifiers (Soy Lecithin, 492, 476), Acid (Citric), Flavour), Glucose, Sunflower Oil, Brown Sugar, Humectant (Glycerol), Sugar, Honey, Puffed Wheat, Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Caramelised Sugar, Flavour.

3 Likes

To an extent, just don’t make them super boozy

3 Likes

If you do decide to expend some time and money, go look for paletas: a Mexican “popsicle” that is usually made with milk and crushed fruit. They come in a huge number of flavors: guava, red currant, cucumber, tamarind-chili (good with a beer, I’m told), soursop, pickled plum, hibiscus flower, pecan, rice pudding, avocado, orange curd, and fig, to name a few.

7 Likes

1 to 1 substitutes for what? White table sugar aka refined sucrose?

Sounds like a heaping teaspoon of semantics to me.