Theresa May calls UK snap elections for June 8

This last year has made me realise how much I don’t identify as British, even though I have spent my entire life living there. I identify as an internationalist with a strong belief that I could visit any free country and meet people who were like myself despite language and cultural differences.

The last I heard was that Spain would allow Scotland to rejoin the EU, if only to piss England off.

Some of whom have British Passports. I live in one of the few areas of England who overwhelmingly voted remain.

We don’t all read and believe the shit that the Sun, Daily Mail and Daily Express publish every day. We don’t get any press coverage though :disappointed:

Probably not, but some of us never wanted to leave in the first place.

9 Likes

Hold on! Who decided Corbyn was “unelectable”? The opposition is blessed with the leader - and surely next Prime Minister - we here approve of!

This election heralds a Sanders-style left-wing triumph to us, if we actually mean what we say.

Yes, I don’t think this is quite the cake-walk May and her advisors think it is. Too many Labour seats are as safe as too many Tory seats (which is why the boundary reform was essential before they tried this trick) and the LibDems are certain to win back probably as many as 20 seats, if not more.
It could be very embarrassing if the Tories come out with a majority of 30 instead of the 15 or so they currently have…

As ever, one important and under-recognised factor will be the feet on the ground. One reason the Tories won was related to the election fraud, because they basically bussed paid folk around marginal constituencies. They really can’t afford to do that again. Whereas both Labour (via Momentum) and the LibDems are going to be a lot more motivated to get their footsoldiers working. And if May has chosen to avoid public debates (hardly a surprise as she regularly loses to both Corbyn and Farron at PMQs, although that rarely gets reported), then she’s lost a critical message path.

I’m not minimising the travails of Labour here; as someone said: the news of Brexit must be terrible if May is prepared to forego three years of Corbyn. But I am not certain that it will be the sort of wipe-out that is anticipated.

2 Likes

Election fraud and Fake News Media!

Time to make Britain … great? again.

2 Likes

I think its more a problem that the fereners are perfectly fine being on the dole.

Needs more alcohol.

1 Like

Amen to all that. And you may recall that post-referendum, we were often told that the leave result was a vote by the disenfranchised for change, because any kind of change was preferable to the awful status quo. Well, now we’re all going to have another opportunity to vote for change - so when the Tories romp home in the summer and are given a clear mandate to continue to oppress the disenfranchised into the grave, but also stick it to johnny foreigner, perhaps we can finally agree that we are basically a country full of arseholes.

4 Likes

Pretty much every paper is still trumpeting it as a huge victory. We’re fucked.

6 Likes

Got any citations for that?

1 Like

UK news is the fucking pits.

4 Likes

Much more logical than that.

When Scotland voted for independence in a referendum, it was to leave the UK. The Spanish didn’t like that because it would give ideas to Catalonia.

But if the UK leaves the EU and Scotland then votes for independence in order to stay in, that shows the Spanish regions that being in the EU is more important than being in the UK. But Spain isn’t leaving the EU and if the regions go independent, they will be out. In other words, regions, if you leave you will lose something valuable, and the Scots have shown where the priorities lie.
Thus, reverse situation; England is like Catalonia going independent, and the Scots are like the majority of Spaniards wanting to stay in the EU. So letting the Scots stay (not join) sends a signal to the regions that Spain wants them to hear.

5 Likes

The Blairites, though, are a large platform of mini-HRCs and they own the machine. They want a wipeout so they can rebuild as they did from 1990-1997.

3 Likes

Hmm, I wonder why…?

8 Likes

Worst case scenario, Labour lose badly, decide they were being held back by Blairite scum and purge the moderates from the party. What they forget is that just because you have a lot of MPs now, doesn’t mean that you will always have a lot of MPs.

And I say this as a Lib Dem.

2 Likes

I love Scarfolk, although it’s feeling painfully close to the knuckle at the moment.

2 Likes

I grew up in Carlisle. It felt like a combination of Scarfolk and Royston Vasey.

3 Likes

I’m increasingly thinking of Corbyn as a Tory fifth columnist.

• He doesn’t seem to be bothered by being 20 points behind the Tories in the Polls
  • He wasn’t bothered by losing a byelection to a sitting Tory Government
  • He’s actively alienated the media, so his message doesn’t get out
  • He appears to want to make the Labour Party unelectable
  • He struggles to keep anyone in his shadow cabinet
  • he spends more time attacking his own MPs than the Government
  • And finally, he always votes with the Tories
2 Likes

Like many in the Conservative Party, while not supporting Brexit he also didn’t exactly discourage it during the referendum.

Have you seen the front page of today’s Mail? It’s horrifying.

1 Like

Just a reminder for why this is really shitty timing for anyone other than the Tories

Two elections in little more than a month. :unamused:

1 Like