These 10 best-selling air purifiers can offer a fresh start to 2021, at surprise Cyber Tuesday prices

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/01/these-10-best-selling-air-purifiers-can-offer-a-fresh-start-to-2021-at-surprise-cyber-tuesday-prices.html

I recall reading in Consumer Reports several years ago that they would not recommend any model of free standing air purifier. This was during the time when they would have engineers devise objective tests and perform analysis on the results.

What they found when testing these devices is that when they were left running in an indoor space, the air circulation always settled into a pattern where the air took the shortest available route from the fan’s output vent to the intake.

So in other words, unless you were positioned to breathe from that air stream right next to the device, the air you were breathing was not being purified.

This made perfect sense to me at the time. In the years since then, the reviews of these devices have changed and become less negative. But I still recall how much sense that earlier test result made.
How can a small, self contained air circulating device be designed to avoid this problem?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.