These $530 pre-distressed sneakers are pissing people off

Nobody talks about the cause: adulation of narcissism, extreme poverty in foundations of ideas and convictions, constant shifting of appearance and adherence.

In the the end of the 1900’s most young people used to dress according to a certain taste of music, some sort of adherence to a conviction of the group: Punks, Mods, Hippies, etc. Now in the 2000’s its just the marketing departments of brands who define what young people listen to and what they wear… Being interrupted every 15 seconds by someone else’s impulses and influences asked to be Liked…No wonder some are lost and buy a 530$ used sneaker pairs…

That’s why they cost so much.

Er, I’ve worked at Salvation Army and they would not even attempt to sell this shit. On the other hand, I have actually seen ‘distressed’ boys tank tops being sold for over $300.00 I’ve no idea what the fucking hell goes thru rich peoples minds. Probably $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. It’s a guess.

2 Likes

I retire that shit, I don’t throw it away.
My “Too Drunk To Fuck” t-shirt doesn’t fit anymore anyway.

1 Like

Trust me, I know this. I’ve got a friend who is a skilled metalworker who now only dabbles in making custom boots and shoes. He’s got an old ranch building filled with tools and lasts that he can’t afford to use. While he makes really nice shoes, he’s not a “big name” or involved in the world of fashion, and can’t sell his shoes/boots for enough to pay him self a living wage for making them.

So he does metalworking, and teaches welding at a local community college.

He’s got a tremendous amount of skill, and can only afford to make shoes as presents for family and really good friends.

2 Likes

Responses like this is why I love Boingboing.

Also, to add to the wonderful metaphor “barbed-wire posing as velvet rope” the brand name is “Golden Goose”- something I missed on the first reading.

2 Likes

Had to replace my chucks over the summer. :frowning:

Tried to eke out a few more weeks by stitching some denim inside to hold them together. :wink:

3 Likes

I put holes in the bottom long before the uppers look like that.

2 Likes

Boop.

3 Likes

…I don’t know, I see this as more of a “fool and his money are soon parted” situation. If this Italian company lightens the wallets of a few idiots, good for them.

Plus my age group can’t really throw shade at rich people buying pre-distressed.

glejfe3nw1qa0zyddjiq

1 Like

But you should see that it’s much more than that. The outrage comes from the knowledge that people can, and do, blithely go about their day thinking, “Oh, haha. Still, not my problem.” when they know that social, political, and financial pressure from people who are demographically adjacent (themselves) can and does create change.

4 Likes

That would imply to me that this is something new and not a resurfacing trend now 30-40 years old (maybe older, my personal memory doesn’t go back any further).

1 Like

Featuring artisan duct tape.

2 Likes

Golden Goose can Derelicte my balls.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.