These mini tiki torch swizzle sticks actually light on fire

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/28/these-mini-tiki-torch-swizzle.html

6 Likes

11 Likes

Tiki torches? Why is BoingBoing promoting neo-nazi paraphernalia? What’s next, t-shirts with cryptic Norse runes?

7 Likes

It’s the perfect accessory for a relaxing post-rally cocktail.

5 Likes

On the one hand I’ll be waiting eagerly to add these to my upcoming tiki bar cart. On the other hand, I’m worried that they’re sold out because they’ve become the must-have accessory for white supremacist cocktail parties.

8 Likes

My beard & stash don’t like this one dang bit.

8 Likes

Perfect accessory for those khaki-and-polo-clad drinkers who really, really love White Russians.

10 Likes

Can someone with photoshop skills please put these in the hands of the Charlottesville Nazis? Please? It’s the only thing that could make those images more pathetic.

2 Likes

BAR PATRON: “Blood and soil!”
BARTENDER: (shrugs) “Okay, it’s your drink.”

6 Likes

Careful not to set the paper cocktail umbrellas on fire!

images%20(46)
(Not to scale)

4 Likes

Is this a new dogwhistle?

2 Likes

Could be fun doing fire eating with them. Good stunt for a dark bar room.

ETA they are made of brass so maybe not. While the wick won’t retain any heat that brass cup most definitely will.

1 Like

You are on a roll today!

1 Like

A product that encourages drunks to play with fire. What could possibly go wrong?

3 Likes

Perfect accessory for Alt-A Barbie and Ken!

2 Likes

For really tiny Nazis.

5 Likes

After seeing several tiki-related posts here on BoingBoing, I decided I should voice this:

Am I the only one here who considers the whole mid-century tiki retro-kitsch thing to be unabashed cultural appropriation?

Doesn’t it promote the idea that it’s OK to play around with, and profit from, (potentially sacred) elements of another people’s culture, without much understanding of, or connection to, that culture—especially if those people were subjected to colonial rule by the nation-state whose citizenship you hold?

I find it weird that this tiki thing seems to be popular in locations that are generally anti-Trump, because it seems to me obviously anti-progressive.

For isn’t it also an expression of some white people’s nostalgia for a time (e.g. the 50’s) when they were allowed to do racially insensitive things without fear of getting called out on it (not to mention the even worse things they could get away with then), i.e. when America was “great”?

I guess I just like my mixed-drink trends to be more forward-thinking.

1 Like

No, but it’s an as-yet unsettled subject of debate even within the Polynesian community.

3 Likes

I think “tiki culture” usually gets a pass is because, the reason it became popular was all the soldiers who were stationed in the South Pacific after the Japanese started a war with us. Also; besides the statues, there isn’t really anything Polynesian about it. Hell most tiki places way back when served “chinese” food and trader Vic’s was all about Hawaii. Don’t get me wrong, I get your point. I’m just saying it’s hard to call it cultural appropriation, when they won’t pick a danged culture they’re appropriating.

3 Likes

Warning: If you light this on fire, it will be HOT! This sentence should not be necessary. If you have the mental capacity to read and understand the warning, you should also already know that Fire Is Hot.

2 Likes