These young people do not remember the 21st night of September

That’s a pretty good endorsement there.

(Then I learned she died last year. Sad.)

ETA:
As an aside, September was a great level in the bizarre and wonderful Elite Beat Agents for the Nintendo DS:

Part of the fun was failing miserably because the failure animations were so weird:

4 Likes

I totally believe it. I am old-ish and graduated college with my masters in 1998. Having said this, in the 90’s there was a big biopic on the Beatles on regular broadcast TV, I think it was approximately a week long series. My roommates and I both had either younger siblings and/or cousins talking about the Beatles music like it just came out and they were dead serious! They couldn’t understand why some of the footage was in B/W and thought they were just music videos (e.g. when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan). I have cousins that age from literally a few weeks old to some being near my age and it never fails to amaze me how blind the younger ones are to any type of historic music, art, etc.

It’s always worth seeing someone’s first reaction to Focus’ “Hocus Pocus”.

1 Like

Ahhh… the parents. A colleague at work – in his mid 30s, white, ultra-nerdy – is religiously into Parliament and ‘blues guitar’. (I had never heard of Parliament before, and during my **‘formative’ stage in music consumption, I was mostly into classic/prog rock.) He listens to nothing else. I asked him about that; his mother (also white) brought him up on what she liked: funk and blues.

Also (with he being ultra-nerdy… a term which I do not use lightly), I’ve surmised that he was to some extent isolated from those in his age group who would have exposed to other genres.

**The very early part of that stage was filled with my folk’s penchant for mid/late 60’s pop; Motown; and (from mostly my mother) Broadway show tunes. All of which I still enjoy.

3 Likes

Judging from their age they probably were raised by their parents with hip hop from the 2K and later, so it’s possible that they heard somewhere parts of that song, although as a looped sample. Here are a few things every disco would be playing when I was their age:

They have a lot to discover, which is so beautiful, although today it’s just a few keystrokes away, while back then it could have meant either that minute recorded in a rush from the radio, or waiting six months before the record store down the street had it available.

Interesting assumption.

3 Likes

I enjoy these two, but I have wondered whether they pretend to be hearing tracks for the first time, not only because the songs in question are sometimes so seemingly ever-present in the culture, but also because their reactions in real time are too ready, like when they seem to be able to pick out lyrics very easily.

On the other hand, being raised before the culture was so segmented has made me aware that being able to choose a narrow range of video and music to absorb has created a couple of younger generations now who’ve had a lot fewer experiences of stumbling upon reruns, oldies, and other artifacts of previous decades like we did when they were “the only thing on”.

Exactly. Streaming of media has completely changed what people are exposed to. My kid grew up with quite a few of my childhood favorites because we could completely control what they had access to.

I suppose they’ve never seen a Godzilla movie either.

September godzilla

5 Likes

Yeah… even Pomplamoose covered September years ago:

(My kid hates this version. :rofl: )

7 Likes

A couple years ago, I asked my teenaged nephew how he decided what was worth watching on Netflix. He told me that unless it was made since 2000, he just didn’t have the time, especially if it was in black and white. Having instant access to the last 100 years of media has perhaps cheapened the importance of all of it. (That said, my nephew has since gone on to music school, and was focused on jazz and bebop, and at another time, he declared that any music made after 1960 wasn’t worth listening to. So maybe he’s just an insufferable snob.)

5 Likes

Having been a guitar teacher for the last 20 years I can totally 100% believe these guys have never heard September. Kids this age dont listen to radio, they very likely have a incredibly narrow selection of music they listen to through whatever digital streaming services they use.
I am regularly dumbfounded by my students not knowing songs that I would have thought would almost be in the social consciousness of mankind, like Smoke on the Water or Johnny B Good. And the kids who do know Johnny only do because they watched Back to the Future.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ma say it:

I was apparently blessed to have had a good musical foundation while growing up; spanning many genres and which only broadened as I grew older, over time.

I genuinely pity anyone who didn’t, and also those who are so incurious that it never even occurred to them to go seeking out ‘the jams’ they heard in commercials and soundtracks.

And props to every DJ and true music lover out there who consciously shares good music and gets others “hip.”

13 Likes

I don’t want to end up like one of those old fogies that seems incredibly uncool because their musical tastes are stuck in whatever decade represented their formative years. I try to continually expand my musical horizons. I love music - why would I want to rob myself of the joy of listening to something great for the first time?

Damn straight.

9 Likes

Maybe something about a Muppet character being beaten against a drum? :wink:

2 Likes

It’s actually the main vocalist she doesn’t care for; I dunno why.

This version of Bulletproof slaps, for instance:

4 Likes

My kids think the Poplamoose singer is just bored, making no effort or attempting any emotion. I tend to agree.

To each their own; I’ve heard way worse.

3 Likes

I wonder if “kids” expect (and prefer) obviously auto-tuned vocals — especially when the effect is exaggerated.

2 Likes

from the video description: “ahh now to enjoy 364 days of peace”

Yeah that would have been nice.