These young people do not remember the 21st night of September

Speaking of covers I like this:

It’s the mark of a great song that you can strip away the style and it’s still meaningful, in a different way.

2 Likes

I know it’s hard to believe, but songs that get used for commercials and otherwise used as samples may never trigger as songs. So I can readily accept that the surprise at hearing the song is genuine.

4 Likes

One evening a few weeks ago, I went to pick up Mrs. F at the commuter rail. When we came back, our daughter was in the kitchen, still wearing her pajamas (pandemic parenting at its best there), a giant head of broccoli in one hand, a roasting pan in the other, dancing with abandon to September. I was kind of quietly pleased that it had made it into one of her playlists.

Then the next track started - Hot Girl Summer. Savor the small victories while you can, I guess.

7 Likes

One of the proudest moments of my parenting career is when my kid came to me at 12 years old, asking me to upload “some Aretha” on her mp3 player.

13 Likes

I guess this is the whole point here, what you’ve heard and what you listen too… what moves you musically and emotionally compared with what is in the music background fighting with the noise/sound that is ever present. Even ‘Elevator Music’ can be interesting as a process and as a medium where the composer has a freedom to experiment, given their audience isn’t listening… just hearing it as an audio veneer for their shopping experience.

A couple of examples from these guy’s.First the “Lemon Song” by Led Zeppelin which twists and shifts through black music genre’s - I remember hearing the Ren and Siympy show closer and hearing this. It’s what you listen too or what your friends, family and culture offer up :

And the pure energy of Nirvana… I love that this is pure transcendent teen energy without a cultural filter:

Yes, maybe this is masculine energy and also teen energy and also because it is teen can be dismissed. Can’t deny this got me going and I can’t deconstruct that for you.

Or worse…Weird Al Yankovic fans.

Seriously, my kids keep discovering the original songs that they’ve only heard before as WAY parodies. They’ve figured it out, but the first couple of times, they asked me whether the original was a take on the Weird Al song.

3 Likes

You said this directly to me. :woman_shrugging: So, you can say I’m gullible, but I can’t note that thinking everything online is a grift is “jaded”… okay. I think we’re done here.

4 Likes

This seems like a perfect fit for a parody as soon as SNL at home starts up again…which I can’t wait for.

Yes…agreed! But never heard a morsel of it even once? Ever? Not somewhere in a mall (pre Covid), or at a store, or parodied on television? Plenty of factors to draw skepticism it seems. As the author of the post implies.

They probably just thought they were hearing “Super Freak.”

5 Likes

Until the refrain came up, I could have sworn I’ve never heard this song either. I think it never was a big thing in Finland, because while I have heard it, it’s far from a familiar one.

(Tangentially, the band Rush seems to be something that has been a big thing in the US and Canada, but is mostly unknown in Europe.)

2 Likes

Mostly that they take the suggestions from their Patreon supporters. And even knowing that I cannot help but enjoy it.

Putting aside that this looks like the only thing I said (it certainly wasn’t, nor was it meant to insult, if it did, I apologize)…I don’t agree with the idea that if someone is skeptical to something online, my main reaction, they’re labeled as “thinking everything online is a grift (or) jaded”. That seems like a negative take. Skepticism online is a good, necessary skill. I have a natural desire to suss out what’s genuine online, including content like this, that I’m looking to get maximum enjoyment out of, mainly because I’m so passionate about music, and living vicariously through people discovering things for the first time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.