They don't make 'em like Annie Ross anymore

Originally published at: They don't make 'em like Annie Ross anymore | Boing Boing

6 Likes

She works that song well. And of course a ditty about oneadem koo-koo bananas dames (amirite?) is perfect for Hef’s swingin’ TV bachelor pad sexism fest.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Harvey “Human Shit Fire” Weinstein, “Crazy Dames, amaright?”

1 Like

I haven’t heard that song in fifty years.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I first heard Twisted on a “Beat Generation” compilation box set and immediately fell in love. Several Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross records later and I’m hooked!

2 Likes

I … um … The song is not about a woman who is crazy. It’s about a strong independent woman that is oppressed by her male cohort. She is, essentially, flipping them off. “i’m smarter and more clever than you and you will never realize that, but that’s okay, sweetcheeks, you just be you.”

And, someone should mention Joni Mitchell’s great version that was a huge hit when some of us were little, and the fact that that is Count Basie doing the awesome piano solo there on national TeeVee.

9 Likes

All this time I thought it was a Joni Mitchell song

3 Likes

someone should mention Joni Mitchell’s great version

3 Likes

I too was introduced to this by Joni Mitchell - never knew this song had more history!

3 Likes

If Stuart Smalley wrote a rock song:

1 Like

Glad I got to see her live with Jon Hendricks once upon a time.

Joni Mitchell’s version of this song is very good too.

2 Likes

Oh, I love Annie Ross so much!

Twisted gets a lot of love, and rightly so, but here’s the song of my people as sung by Lambert, Hendricks, & Ross:

4 Likes

Studio version:

While I’m here, here’s another; “Cloudburst”:

5 Likes

Mom had a copy of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross! – The Hottest New Group In Jazz

and she often spun it. She loved that I sang along to Twisted when a wizard at three myself, and did the same re: Gimme That Wine.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.