"They missed a whole bomb in my bag," says woman as she's patted down by TSA

There’s been no information or diagnosis that any of the people making bomb jokes over these many decades were neurodivergent, so while I appreciate the gentle reminder not to use insults out of courtesy for others, I stand by my commentary. There’s LOTS of other jokes to use besides “bomb!” in an airport.

“They missed a whole vibrator in my bag!”

“They missed a whole roast chicken in my bag!”

“They missed a whole set of handcuffs in my bag!”

“They missed a whole half-naked Channing Tatum in my bag!” (most plausible really, he’s showing up everywhere these days)

Please do not use bomb jokes at the airport if you’re feeling stressed or anxious. We don’t want you to end up like her, and they have zero sense of humor.

6 Likes

This is why I carry a copy of the 1987 movie Ishtar in my luggage when I travel.

4 Likes

Another way to look at this is that making bomb jokes is really rude to the security people. TSA is 99% bullshit but this goes for all airport security the world over.

If you say something like that, they have to take it seriously, even if they know you are joking. They can’t take the chance that you aren’t because the stakes are too high. So what you’re doing is making the day a lot worse for someone who is already working hard at a difficult job. They now have to treat you like a terrorist. You’ve given them no choice.

Whether or not laws about making jokes exist in your area, don’t do this out of basic human courtesy for the airport staff.

11 Likes

It’s very rude to fellow passengers as well. I have no trouble flying but have a family member who practically has to be sedated to get him on a plane. If he overheard this going theough security, he would run away from the airport.

7 Likes

Yep. It has been a thing since the early 70s, when hijacking was all the rage.

Look. I HATE the TSA and all their performative bullshit. Do I think I should remove my shoes, remove my pullover sweater and walking through a full body scanner having only a sheer see-through top on underneath and then be patted down? No. Do I think that most of what they do is unnecessary? Absolutely yes. But should assholes in the airport be able to make jokes about bombs? Nope. Not even a bit.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.