Thieves steal golden toilet

The burglary caused “significant damage and flooding” because the toilet was plumbed into the building, police said.

ALWAYS turn the water off at the main before doing any plumbing. Didn’t their pops teach them anything?

7 Likes

They were blinded by greed, otherwise they would have thought of it.

I’m relieved, too, as of twenty minutes ago.

10 Likes

103 kilo of gold in toilet
103 kilo to ounces = 3633.22 ounces
$1490.55 per ounce current market value
3633.22x1490.55=$5,415,496.07

I see articles saying this toilet was worth $1M, so does that mean this artist managed to make gold worth less?

2 Likes

Clever.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t know where you got 103 kilograms, but an earlier estimate had it more around 50kg:

Now anyone knows you don’t need that much solid gold to make a solid toilet, though. A stainless steel toilet weighs around 20kg, and steel has a density of 7.82 g/cm^3, so an identically made gold toilet would require just 50kg of gold, around $2 million.

This is also 18-karat gold, not pure…so that’s 75% gold, so it wouldn’t cost what you thought per ounce.

6 Likes

Okay, fine. It was stolen. Time to make #2.

3 Likes

They couldn’t find the water main key. You can never find that bastard when you need it.

1 Like

The police should investigate Trump for this theft. Iirc he always wanted a golden loo for the trumptower in NY and i could see it installed at the whitehouse.

gold isn’t as structurally rigid as steel.

Interesting the toilet seat wasn’t stolen long ago.

A spokesman at police headquarters, privy to the case, says detectives remain bogged down but are confident of flushing out the perpetrator. Whodunnit? Was it a pot addict, or did a rapper steal the crapper? A stool pigeon is cooperating with the investigation (while they beat the s*** out of him). I just pray it is not found in a dump - or vice versa.

5 Likes

The Guggenheim offered it to Trump.

6 Likes

Seems a bit rude to honor Amerigo Vespucci in such a way.

Also America includes many countries that probably don’t deserve to be lumped in with the USA.

3 Likes

The art installation is called “America”, hence the namesake. Not the namesake’s namesake. It’s often convention to use “America” as shorthand for the USA. (I fully acknowedge this is not technically correct, just that it is often convention, and few would assume it’s referring to Canada or Mexico.)

Nice attempt at pedantic nitpicking though.

5 Likes

It’s OK if you don’t get sarcasm, there are many other forms of expression out there to enjoy.

1 Like

10:1 odds they catch them if it’s been melted down.

I recall watching a show about a big gold theft where they caught the perpetrators by analyzing the exact trace elemental composition of the contaminant elements. even .999999 fine has a specific contaminant “fingerprint”.

2 Likes

Not really a perfect metaphor. After all, the article said that the toilet worked

7 Likes

Just another cinematic remake…

2 Likes