Thieves steal golden toilet

I thought it was an unalloyed shitter.

1 Like

They’ll probably try to fence it at GoldenPalace. They’ve got a thing for unusual toilets.

I’ve always heard that punchline as:

“Hey Bill!” Hillary yelled. “Dubya just pissed in your saxophone again!

Interesting. If that’s a known issue, I’d imagine there’s a chemical solution (badump bump) to purify or hide it. Reminds me of this, but when they precipitated it out, don’t know if the contaminants would go along for the ride:

Could also electroplate it onto something? Lot of money at stake, would think they could afford some very nice chemistry equipment.

1 Like

I’m sure you could re-alloy it, then re-purify it, and end up with a different trace elemental “fingerprint”. Which means you’d have to know some chemistry (or have a rogue assayer/chemist/metallurgist) on your criminal team. The question is whether the crooks are smart enough to know that they can’t just melt and re-cast le toilette into bars for resale…

As far as the gold in solution, I bet it would defeat the “fingerprint” analysis too. That’s the same method that a lot of people use to refine gold from plated jewelry, electronics, etc… When I did it, I was able to take lower alloy gold and purify it to over 23.5k.

2 Likes

I wonder if “Breaking Bad” has encouraged a new breed of would-be rogue chemists.

John McAfee’s issues started when he moved to Belize to make bath salts…

1 Like

Actually, there’s probably a ton of jewelers out there who could figure it out, I can think of three or four in my circle of friends smart enough to do it. Sell the toilet proceeds on Etsy in the form of thousands of chains.

1 Like

I only live a few miles away, but I only have a bog standard porcelain toilet.

2 Likes

You are using the wrong ounce. Precious metals are measured in troy ounces

103 kg = 3311.527 troy ounces

3311.527 x $1490.55 = $4935996.57

and as @tuhu pointed out, it’s 18-karat gold, so it’s only 3/4 of that. We now get a price of about $3,702,000. As it’s a piece of art it will be worth more than that, if it is still intact.

1 Like

I’d posit that anyone with craft jewelry experience, any chem beyond rudimentary high school chem, or almost any metallurgical experience could figure it out. I was able to, so there’s that.

My argument would be that it’s a volume game. A toilet is a lot of mass. You’d be selling bars to move enough of it fast enough to split shares in your group that stole it. You’d need the capacity to refine/re-alloy larger amounts to be practical.

You could sell chains on etsy, but that’s a hell of a lot of chains to make, and a long term plan, not a quick turn around sort of thing.

Me, I’d use it. Pretend I was tRump. Make all sorts of bad decisions and ridiculous statements while pooping (which is how I imagine that most cabinet meetings in the current white house are held.).

1 Like

Exactly what a perfectly innocent person would say.

2 Likes

I dunno, I just came here for the toilet humor.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.