Things go where they must as Obi-Wan's foregone conclusion looms

To the extent that Boba Fett wasn’t even in an entire episode of his own show

2 Likes

The thing that struck me with that scene is, why didn’t he do what he LITERALLY JUST DID again?

Yeah, yeah, I know plot armour and all that, but it really pulled me out of the story

5 Likes

That is a problem (or could be). But it’s not the problem. Better Call Saul works. Godfather II had prequel elements but there was no lack of tension.

It’s just that writers for the SW universe suck, are unimaginative, cannot resist the fan service they think we want, and continually run over the same material we’ve seen again and again. And they suck. Everything that was new, inventive, and captivating in Episode IV has now been retread so many times, we’re sick of it. Eg, for the love of God, no more cantina scenes of any type (even if it’s a new one, even if it’s on a different planet, writers of Solo). Cantina scenes: you are banned.

1 Like

also. they made him ridiculously powerful. in the original movie he could sort of choke a guy. now he can fling starships around?!?

it makes his earlier encounters with mr kenobi make zero sense. and why send storm troopers down when he could have pulled the doors off with his mind

just silly is what it is

4 Likes

Please, just Ben. Mr. Kenobi is my father. Who I do not remember because a bunch of fanatics tore me away from my family when I was a child and then brainwashed me to believe that I should not have attachments…which is how we got here.

4 Likes

bail organa: please rescue my kid.

ben-wan: you know old friend. if the republic were still around i’d be the one kidnapping her. ah. the good old days.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sadly, this story had a compelling character that could have held our attention, but they killed them off in a stupid way an episode too early.

1 Like

Well, if you’re just gonna go ahead and call a duck a duck… But I think it’s not even the writers, necessarily. If it’s a smaller project (and small is relative with them), Disney lets the writers have a bit more leeway. Bigger projects tend to have too many executive cooks dictating what they think fans respond to, forcing writers to make it work. (I still need to finish the Disney+ documentary series on the making of Frozen II, but it’s quite enlightening to the process. The premise of the documentary is an attention grabber. 115 days until premier, they have multiple sequences rendered with more in the works, and they still don’t quite know what the ending and final story are.) Obi-Wan, I believe, is one of those larger projects they needed to make work. For the most part it does, even if it just feels lacking in certain areas.

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 Likes

His power level fits in with the comics, and other series. Vader in the extended cannon gets really powerfull between ep III AND ep IV.

So it makes sense with that context (which filled in how Vader became and stayed at #2 in an organization based on only the toughest surviving. ). But if you haven’t spent the time and money to watch and read everything (I have a problem)… yes it would be a suprise

The closest we see to the powerull Vader in the Movies is probably Rogue 1 and even then it’s a far cry from the unstoppable Monster we see in Obi Wan. I for one was happy to see this Vader on screen. The duel in the episode really showed how powerfull he is at this time, and I liked it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.