'This is the way' - The Mandalorian season 2 trailer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/15/this-is-the-way-the-mand.html

Must resist watching…always spoilers in trailers there are…

4 Likes

5 Likes

I will watch, I guess.

2 Likes

Oh hell yeah. SW films have a kind of mushiness and saccharine quality (1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9) that doesn’t work for me. Rogue One and even Solo had a tone that seems more in line with 4, 5, 6. The Mandalorian feels like an olde tyme TeeVee western serial. The episodic nature actually works to slowly build a lot of the world and feels.

ymmv

Who doesn’t want a hug from baby yoda right now? No one, that’s who.

5 Likes

It looks like the bantha is saying “where” in the trailer.

2 Likes

So cute he made Werner Herzog weep!

2 Likes

Herzog forgot baby Yoda was animatronic. A puppet so well made, and skillfully controlled that a veteran actor and director fully suspended his disbelief while filming!

(I watched the behind the scenes series. It was fascinating if your into the sausage-making in Hollywood.)

2 Likes

This is the way… to the bathroom.

4 Likes

As long as they keep “ripping off” Akira Kurosawa movies i’ll be happy

1 Like

The one thing I don’t get is why the characters in this series keep talking about Jedi as if they are an ancient myth instead of a well-known established part of recent history.

This show is set only 26 years after the Jedi were ousted from power and just 5 years after a Jedi Knight took down Emperor Palpatine. The title character in the show lost his family in the Clone Wars, a conflict in which Jedi served as top Generals. To say “there are legends of a race of sorcerers called Jedi” in this time period would be a bit like someone in our time saying “there are legends of an ancient geopolitical conflict known as ‘The Cold War’”.

3 Likes

Other than the younglings getting trained by Jedi in Episode 2 and a brief mention of queen Amidala attending some kind of political school, I don’t think that any of the young people shown in any of the on-screen Star Wars universe ever received any kind of formal education. Nearly all the kids in that universe were either street urchins, orphans or slaves. So I guess without any history textbooks or Ken Burns documentaries to go off of, all history in that universe that wasn’t personally experienced by the next generation could be considered “legend.”

1 Like

The voiceover doesn’t give the whole conversation. He might reply something like “Duh, everyone knows about the Jedi” only to have her dismiss the Jedi of their era as a pale bureaucratic shadow of who she is really talking about.

The Mandolorian Wars were 3976 BBY, almost 4,000 years before this show, and caused a civil war among the Jedi. It could be the losing side of that split, the ones that defeated the Mandalorians she’s talking about.

Aternatively, the use of the word “race” there might not be slipshod writing, but referring to something much older, The Jed’aii order was like 30,000 BBY. Before that you had the Tho Yor.

If she is talking about finding Baby Yoda’s actual species, it could be something very ancient.

1 Like

But Kuiil said something to the same effect in season 1 (describing Jedi as a mysterious race of sorcerers) and the Mandalorian reacted as if this was the first time he’d ever heard of them.

That would be neat.

2 Likes

Trump has re-written the narrative on several subjects and his followers have zealously supported it. You don’t think a similar disinformation campaign and censorship? People KNEW about the Jedi, but most likely never SAW one. So I could see how their existence is more or less legend and their feats

" Yeah, we heard of them, but, most of the stuff people say they could do is bullshit. Yeah, I’ve seen the videos, totally fake. Their moves defy basic laws of physics. They really should have done more research in faking these vids if they wanted them to look believable."

I say this not seeing the trailer, but based on the attitudes from the original movie… Imma just wait for the show to come out.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.