The third installment of Obi-Wan Kenobi

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2022/06/01/the-third-installment-of-obi-wan-kenobi.html

3 Likes

As one of the pillars of the former order, Kenobi is forced to witness the drastic and unforgiving changes to the galaxy his personal blundering caused. Then Ben continues to blunder about the galaxy, always escaping by the skin of his teeth.

I haven’t watched this yet, but it sort of sounds like an allegory about Luca’s handling of the Star Wars franchise after the original trilogy.

11 Likes

I think my favorite episode so far is the one where the whole storyline happens because the kid wouldn’t listen to adults…

Am I the only one who thinks the child actress for Leia is quite possibly the worst child actor I’ve ever seen?

2 Likes

The only problem with Obi-wan facing off against Vader in this show is that it kind of screws up their confrontation in Episode IV. This dialogue doesn’t make much sense in a timeline where Vader had kicked Obi-wan’s ass nine years prior:

We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.

9 Likes

Yes. Welcome to BoingBoing!

11 Likes

Bet you think the loader robot needed more lines too.

11 Likes

There is going to be a lot of fudging here and there to fit this series in to the continuity we already know but i like Emmet Asher-Perrin’s take on this particularly point…

Still, I appreciate that the anger in Vader is palpable, that it’s morphed into an ugly and malignant thing that has far more control over him than he has over it. As an arc to get us to A New Hope , it works—Vader doesn’t seem anywhere near angry enough at Obi-Wan in their final duel, and this is an attempt to work out why. The idea that perhaps he’s already worked through some of those feelings, that they both have before coming to that place, it makes sense. I’m assuming there’s another confrontation still to come, though. We’ve got three more episodes and things are only getting worse.

I can live with this and i was surprised we were going to be getting a confrontation so soon but it was well realised, Vader had some real menace here and Obi-Wan’s fear was palpable. Still lots of characters holding the idiot ball though but that’s Star Wars for ya.

4 Likes

Uh…

How would we know how many child actors you’ve ever seen?

8 Likes

Please tell me there aren’t going to be detailed charts of Nativity play performances versus Star Wars appearances.

8 Likes

I liked that, for once, when a Jedi was confronted with an imposing Sith wielding a lightsaber he assessed his chances and high tailed it out of there rather than willingly engage.

He’s really given up on the whole code of bravery and honor or whatever and I think I like that.

3 Likes
1 Like

He certainly has no qualms about using a blaster despite once calling them uncivilised and why should he? He’s witnessed the Jedi Order get wiped out and he’s trained a Sith Lord so he’s got no more fucks to give.

2 Likes

If ever there was a time for Jedi to start fighting dirty this is it.

I say go all in: like, when you’re a Jedi surrounded by bad guys the first thing you should do is use the Force to yank down their pants. Let’s see how fast inquisitors can chase after Obi-wan when they’re tripping over their trousers. Or when Vader’s got you in a choke grip then just force-kick him in the balls until he drops you (Vader still has 'nads, right?)

3 Likes

I think this series has great VFX.
That is all.

My point was that he was choosing not to fight at all, even when Vader was killing civilians left and right just to draw him out. How many people have died on this show so far in pursuit of Obi Wan? He could have just sacrificed himself early on when he discovered that the inquisitors were really after him, not Leia, and kept her and everyone else out of danger. Dragging her along with him is clearly not keeping her safe.

OK but I still like my Force-pantsing plan. Probably works even better on a guy with robot legs.

2 Likes

I would assume those would have burned off in the lava.

Never leave home without our Force Pants™

3 Likes

I’m enjoying seeing a broken Kenobi disconnected from the force and looking forward to seeing him reconnect and become Obi-Wan again. The inquisitors are still just generic bad guys but Vader was frightening. I’m enjoying the show overall, but I will be pissed if Liam Neeson doesn’t show up eventually —- my guess is the final scene, maybe a voice prior to that.

1 Like