The third installment of Obi-Wan Kenobi

No you’re not. Also the writing is terrible. Why didnt the 3rd sister just shoot down the cargo ship? Why didnt the storm troopers shoot obiwan through the flames? etc. It does give it a nice continuity with prequels I suppose. When are they going to bring in the jaja binks character?

1 Like

The third instalment… How many more until he’s paid off his student loans?

3 Likes

There’s about 10 more years to go.

4 Likes

I’m hoping that they take the time and effort to develop reasonable backstories and motivations for these guys. For example, with the 3rd Sister, she could be harboring a deep resentment towards the Jedi for taking her away from her loving family as a young child in order to indoctrinate her into their creepy cult where you’re not supposed to develop strong attachments. That would mess anyone up. Kenobi hinted at that himself in bringing up his baby brother that he never got to see again.

Also: one of the great lines I saw in reaction to that revelation was “Commence speculation about Obi-Two!”

1 Like

Personally, I’m glad we finally got an Imperial bus stop canonical appearance.

2 Likes

Ok, I watched it last night! I liked it! Love the colors of the lightsabers at the end and how they are casing light everywhere. Are they doing practical effects with like an LED saber, or is it all post effects?

They are hinting something is not ok with her, and Obi Wan described his experience of being taken away at a young age. And she seems to have a real problem with Obi Wan. Not sure if that is because of something personal, or she just knows Vader will promote her and she will have more power if she finds him. I expect we will see a flashback (hopefully not just exposition) soon explaining her motivations more.

2 Likes

Um, if either of those people KILLED Obi Wan, then Vader would have whipped around and killed them. The whole point is Vader wants to capture and slowly kill Obi Wan. Even the 3rd sister isn’t bold enough to disobey Vader orders and kill Obi Wan (I don’t think she had access to anything that would have shot down the transport.) And for sure as a Stormtrooper I wouldn’t shoot anything without a direct order.

3 Likes

They pushed hard that we should remember those 5 younglings.

3 Likes

I didn’t have any issue with either of those parts because there were clear explanations why the characters acted the way they did. The Third Sister didn’t shoot down the cargo ship because 1) she didn’t have any anti-aircraft guns nearby and 2) her goal was to take Obi-wan alive to present him before Lord Vader. She even said as much to Obi-wan.

Same deal with the stormtroopers shooting Obi-wan through the flames. Vader clearly wanted to take on Obi-wan himself and wanted to make it hurt. So even the densest of stormtroopers would have known that giving Obi-wan a quick death by blaster without explicit orders to do so would have been hopin’ for a chokin’.

3 Likes

Yes, I suspect she was one of them. Does she know Anakin killed a bunch of them? If so, what twisted logic/torture did she endure to side with the Empire?

It’s a mixture of both. They use prop sabers that emit light on set, then touch things up in post.

4 Likes

Vader: “Your pain as only just begun, Obi Wan.”

-PEW- Obi Wan slumps over.

Vader “What?! Who fired that?”

Shaking Stormtrooper: “I…I…I… I didn’t think I would hit anything! My entire career I’ve never actually hit anything! I can’t even see out of this helmet! I - I just wanted to scare him! How was I supposed to know this would be the one time I’d hit anything?!” -GURK!-

5 Likes

I don’t think the logic would have to be especially twisted. The Jedi order was an institution that supported slavery and used child soldiers to fight wars (including both “younglings” and clone troopers) and needed to be taken down. Here on earth if you’re trying to take out an evil organization of warlords that makes widespread use of child soldiers you’d want to target the leadership and take great effort to avoid killing any kids but if one is blasting away at you with an AK-47 and refuses to surrender then the tragedy is that some underage soldiers might get killed too.

Obi-Wan could have walked around that gate.

11 Likes

Yeah, the 3-foot-tall laser gate with walkable gaps on either side was pretty funny.

Also, “I can’t believe the mole sold us out to the other side!” (Dude, that’s what moles do.)

3 Likes

I mean, in your real world example, killing terrorists seems to just create more terrorists to fight against you.

But I am sure there are real world examples of people who started on Side A, and switch to Side B in a conflict for various reasons. So I agree it is plausible.

I didn’t necessarily mean terrorists, or at least not the ones that a lot of people immediately imagine when hearing that word. The Confederate army was fighting to perpetuate slavery and also had some underage soldiers, especially towards the end. Some of their underage soldiers got killed in the war.

1 Like

I mean, toll booths have gaps you can walk around. So do the arm bars for parking places. The whole point of places like that is to stop vehicles for tolls or inspections. Like at a military base or the border or something like that. Heck, even things for people like turnstiles you can just jump over.

I’m guessing you don’t have kids, because if you do, you get to watch a good deal of TV and movies with child actors who aren’t as good.

1 Like

It was still hilarious that Obi went through the trouble to try to disable it though rather than just take a few steps to one side.

2 Likes