I am cautiously optimistic about 'Kenobi'

Originally published at: I am cautiously optimistic about 'Kenobi' | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Flea was wooden.

3 Likes

Me too! I was pleasantly surprised with what the plot is about, and thus far it not only looks great, but the story has my attention!

A little irked about the 4-LOM looking droid in the trailer is not 4-LOM. He is supposed to be an anomaly of a protocol droid reprogramming itself and becoming a bounty hunter, not an off the shelf unit like an IG droid. So it doesn’t make sense there is a very similar model that is also a bounty hunter. But that is nerd nitpicking.

Cool to see Temura Morrison in a cameo as an old clone trooper. Given it looked like he had 501st colors (didn’t look it up, it could have not been), I am a tiny bit surprised there was no recognition of Obi-Wan. But it is a huge galaxy and not every guy with a beard and a cloak is a Jedi.

I do have questions about the giant space ray they are harvesting. Uhhh - fish flesh goes bad super fast. They got like A DAY to harvest that at the most. Unless space ray just keeps longer in high heat of the desert.

And finally, the peek of the lightsaber as Obi Wan boarded the transport was a wink to the audience, but he should have been hiding that thing way better.

All of that is nerd blathering, I liked it a lot over all!

Fair. But he is dead now, so…

5 Likes

i’ve watched the first two episodes twice now, and i’m WAAAAAY in. Ewan’s performance so far has been subtle but also perfect. he’s haunted, pained, and frightened, as he should be. i particularly like the Temura Morrison cameo, and from what i’ve read that definitely is a 501st Legion uniform. He may not recognize Kenobi – or maybe he did! – but Kenobi definitely knew who he was seeing. i think that’s why he actually gave him some credits.

8 Likes

I wondered about that whole butchering setup as well. Why not cut off giant chunks, move those to town and keep the labour force there… save of transporting them back & forth for what is essentially portion-prep. And if this is such a shit job, where is the next shift, ready to take over… no, just keep the meat out on the tables in the sun.

Also… hope this is the last precocious-kid storyline they present for a long, long while. Starting to become Muppet Babies in a galaxy far, far away.

8 Likes

Damn was this show slow but it looked good, Little Leia is awesome and it didn’t all happen on Tattooine.

Still not sure I want desert sushi any time soon.

6 Likes

I mostly enjoyed it for McGregor’s performance, seeing him broken and fearful before he becomes the chilled out desert hippie in A New Hope and i thought Little Leia was perfect. The rest was meh, i couldn’t really take the Inquisitors seriously - just cliché-ridden baddies. Very surprised they left in the opening scene of the Jedi massacre of the younglings given recent events.

5 Likes

Yeah, they could have easily left that entire little scene out, and the baddies really were dumb clichés, even for Star Wars.

4 Likes

The Grand Inquisitor was a lot more interesting in Rebels.

4 Likes

I did enjoy that final scene in the hanger though, notwithstanding the clichéd lines from Reva, it was effective and i appreciated their restraint in holding back from Obi-Wan going maximum Jedi which we’ll get to in due course i’m sure.

5 Likes

In the second episode, I impulsively scoffed at some very lazily written lines several actors had to perform. However, looking back at episode IV, that’s pretty much in the spirit of the original. Sadly, the camera is not in the same league, and I have a problem with the slightly over-acting which shows, in a bad way, due to the camera.

Hamill, Ford and Fisher got away with this due to the camera, cuts, and a very specific chutzpah (which might also be called charisma, and admittedly might also have been induced).

2 Likes

I get the impression that The Book of Boba Fett and these two episodes were shot under very different restrictions? There seems to be considerably more grit and hustle-and-bustle on display; The Book of Boba Fett felt entirely too clean and empty most of the time. So that’s nice.

I’m also wondering just how much of the sets was actually CG. (It made me think of that elaborate spaceport town in Loki, which seemed like an enormous amount of effort for what was ultimately a very short and not even especially significant scene.)

1 Like

it is funny that it so far basically follows the mandalorian plot. reluctant hero meets youngling

and not the only show airing this week that did that(*). a lazy way of raising emotional stake in my opinion :confused:

(* at least the other show had a significant disclaimer i guess. but they both could have cut those scenes without much trouble )

2 Likes

Except Kenobi is less the reluctant hero, and more the failed hero. He and the Jedi lost. Almost everyone he cared about is dead, and as far as he knew, he had killed his best friend.

3 Likes

were not his parents killed? was not mandalore destroyed? do we not see his coven or what have you destroyed? he’s not really living life just going through the motions, and we definitely see him in the show itself fall further to reach the point where mr kenobi is already at - so that arc is more present than in this - but it’s all the same cloth

it seems to have the chance of being a good show. and i like that they’re explaining leia’s motivations at the start of the first star wars movie.

it’s also similar enough to their last good live action show that’s it’s unlikely to be coincidence

1 Like

Totally agree. I HATE the trope of “everything happens because kids don’t listen” and that was the plot of BOTH episodes.

I guess the writers want Kenobi to have a certain iconic look, but still, why did he insist on removing his and Leia’s disguises right away, putting on his iconic robe and taking off the mask right when everyone in the city was looking for a Jedi? Why not mix things up a bit with his wardrobe and facial hair, at least temporarily? Could be fun seeing him dressed in some colorful clothes for once, maybe sporting a soul patch or mustache.

5 Likes

what even is a lightsaber for if not a quick shave now and then?

5 Likes

Our family is really enjoying it.

1 Like

except this show and the others were all finished months ago, not last week.

1 Like