I am cautiously optimistic about 'Kenobi'

i think you misunderstood. the scripts were written long long ago ( in another galaxy… no never mind that. ) and the writers sat around and said: “what will make people aghast?” it’s lazy writing to do that with scenes of nameless children dying

netflix spent the 23 seconds to put a disclaimer. but both shows before they aired could have chopped those scenes. they were tone setting not informational. in the netflix show 011 has more than enough flackbacks to convey the required story information. in kenobi, the whole world already knows the back story, and those scenes weren’t particularly useful

i don’t think it’s fair to criticize them recapping a pivotal moment from a movie that came out 17 years ago that is crucial to the main character’s history – and there’s also speculation that the girl in the scene ends up becoming Reva the Inquisitor chasing Kenobi, so showing it could end up being an important thread that plays out later.

1 Like

It was sort of weird scene in that it was set directly after Order 66 and the events in Revenge of the Sith. While it isn’t immediately clear WHY we were seeing that scene, I think you are right that either Reva was one of the younglings who escaped, or another character we haven’t seen was. Possibly the Jedi they hunted down on Tatooine was one of her classmates!

They said some of the inquisitors were Jedis that turned to the dark side.

i guess we will see!

2 Likes

We didn’t see any of those younglings die, they can all be characters for whatever we know. One of their helmets is visible (or very similar) as a trophy in the Inquisitor Board Room and Conference Center in one of the trailers.

We saw Jedi die. There were other corpses, but I think we saw all 5 of these guys heading over that bridge unaccosted after they failed to take blasters or a lightsaber.

1 Like

I don’t really know kids but, to me, the girl playing Young Leia seem younger than 10 years old?

She is younger, just barely. She’ll be 10 this month.

Flea story. when i worked in a LA recording studio he came in to play bass on someone else’s project. I was used to working with studio musicians that would show up with a truck load of gear in road cases. he showed up with one bass. not in a case. with no cable or strap. he had to borrow a strap and cable. always thought that was funny.

i liked the first two episodes. looking forward to more.

So she’s 8 or 9 when filmed then. Some kids are late bloomers.

1 Like

The space ray was encased in carbonite on it’s demise, and they just thaw a chunk at a time.

I’ve seen Star Wars twice!!

1 Like

I should have said I like the first couple episodes, but Flea was wooden. Definitely a great musician, so forgetting anything other than his instrument checks out…

1 Like

isn’t it always fair to criticize? or am i just supposed to say everything i see is 100% good?

i thought it was lazy writing in the movie when it happened, and i think it was even more lazy to repeat it. there’s lots of way to have shown order 66. they choose the “but think of the children” method.

what was worse for me personally was having them repeat the word “youngling” that many times. but it did strike a strange – and unnecessary – chord, especially with such a similar scene implied or actual of children being killed in their indoctrination / training center / school in the netflix show

1 Like

Right! And they said they were all going to run away. And we know Baby Yoda also made it out of the Temple. So it stands to reason some of them made it. And given the need for inquisitors, there was a fair number of Jedi to hunt down after Palpatines coup.

And while not that young, Kanan Jarrus and Cal Kestis were both Padawns who escaped the purge.

Ah! I was screaming that too. They were old enough to at least be familiar with lightsabers for defense. And the best defense is a good o-fense - according to Mel, the cook on Alice.

But after The Clone Wars cartoons - and the movies - I just have to let go of hoping Star Wars has anything resembling realistic tactics. (For the love of God, the droids are all lined up and in the open, but YOU CLONES can go find cover!) Just enjoy the lasers.

Eh - looks about right to me. Kids do age and grow differently, so there is a spectrum for what a 10 year old looks like. For the longest time, my kiddo was small for her age and looked younger than she was. Too bad she is such a rule follower you can’t fib on her age to get into places cheaper.

1 Like

It is always fair to criticize, but not all criticism is fair.

Even if the original portrayal was lazy writing, it did happen. And it appears there is a reason to present that specific scene again. Assuming there is a payoff / reveal / additional flashbacks, then the scene I think warrants inclusion.

If it goes literally nowhere and not referenced again, then It would be a completely unnecessary scene.

If the payoff relating to that scene is bad, then we can criticize the scene and the payoff together.

But at this point, while we can speculate, we can’t really judge it fully because we haven’t seen the whole of the parts yet.

1 Like

no, not at all – criticism is good, but i just feel that this has been a part of the story for over a decade, and Kenobi’s story in particular. it’s integral to where he is emotionally and psychologically, so they have to show it. it would be really wrong to leave it out. leveling criticism at new parts of the story would be time better spent.

I am cautiously optimistic about ‘Kenobi’

It’s a bad sign when they show so much of Jake Lloyd in the flashbacks. It had taken 20 years to forget him, too.

1 Like

Eh, I think we have kicked Jake Lloyd enough. He did ok for what it was. I think it’s more on the casting and directing to get a different performance than what was there.

2 Likes

The real problem wasn’t who they cast, it was Lucas’ decision to write Anakin as a precocious 10-year-old. If they’d started off Episode I with Anakin as a teenager or young adult they could have fixed half of what was wrong with the movie in one fell swoop.

7 Likes

Oh I agree, so much of The Phantom Menace should have just… not been.

But perhaps with a different actor you would get a different performance. More charisma. Or, really, I blame the director, because Anakin as a young adult is still wooden and whiny - and Hayden Christensen is much better in other films, so one is lead to conclude he was directed to act as he did. :confused:

But I am not down on the actors themselves of less popular characters. People who are are super jerks. And it negatively effects the actors.

And the writer. I don’t think that Anakin’s “I don’t like sand” monologue could have been salvaged if it had been shot by Francis Ford Coppola directing a young Marlon Brando.

5 Likes