Things I miss: The Swanson TV Dinner

Those are the microwaves we had in our Home Ec class in middle school, 1986. I remember our teacher made us put Pyrex cups of water in front of the door to absorb stray microwave rays she was sure were escaping to boil our eyeballs.

13 Likes
6 Likes

They were big. It’s the plates that got small.

8 Likes

Did anyone get excited about peas? It wasn’t until I was an adult that I learned to enjoy peas, thanks to Orson Welles.

16 Likes

Wrinkly peas, my favorite frozen vegetable.

3 Likes

Ours were not-translucent-plastic-but-some-light-could-go-through that I haven’t been able to find online. My in-laws still have their black-with-flowers trays permanently set up on their enclosed deck (to hold the remotes, magnifying glass, crosswords, etc.).

2 Likes

That just shows a lack of imagination.

15 Likes

The Critic. Another obvious entry on the Things I Miss list. I even know I miss The Critic.

6 Likes

Ok, here’s The Critic introducing Pinky and the Brain doing a much longer send up of Orson Wells:

Yes, Always

4 Likes

I originally wouldn’t go near them, but John Lennon convinced me to give them a chance.

20 Likes

Imagine that.

11 Likes

I have a set of these ceramic TV dinner trays.

They’re great for making up classic TV dinner combos with good food. The homemade brownie goes in the center spot.

9 Likes

You know what I really miss? Frozen chicken pot pies! These were like heaven on a plate. mom was (and still is) a lousy cook. We ate lots of pot pies and Swanson dinners. I loved the TV dinners and it took all of my strength not to eat the little apple brown betty first.

8 Likes

Some places still sell Jiffy Pop. Jiffy pop and the above ceramic trays will be part of my Halloween Movie night.

10 Likes

This is a very popular VW Vanagon treat for around the campfire too.

*** TO BE CLEAR – MUST BE COOKED OVER A BURNER, NOT THE FIRE.

9 Likes

My sympathies to all of you whose parents were terrible cooks.
Both my parents cooked, with some overlap. Dad did much of the grilling and country/comfort favorites like chicken-fried steak with proper white gravy, or homemade ice cream. Mom did much of the baking, and had the best mac 'n cheese and sweetbreads at any potluck.
Most kids may remember snacking on chips and cookies after school, but I was the most leftover-eatingest kid my friends knew.

9 Likes

Are you my spouse? Because that sounds like my MIL. Things he cannot cope with, thanks to her culinary abuse: crockpot anything, but especially crockpot “roasted” whole chicken, crockpot pot roast with carrots and potatoes, most pasta dishes that don’t come out of a can, east of Mississippi chili.

That he survived childhood without a major case of salmonella or E. coli is more significant luck than any credit to his mother. I didn’t realize how bad she was until I saw both of her crockpot atrocities – a semi-steamed, semi-boiled whole chicken that started the morning frozen and ended the afternoon half-raw, half over-cooked, and a grey chunk of gristle in a bowl of King’s Landing Brown.

He has an unnatural affection for TV dinners, Kraft dinner, ramen and Chef Boyardee, too.

12 Likes

amazon has a whole selection of stainless steel ones as well…all the various configurations.

1 Like

My low point was buying frozen burritos at 7-11 as a means of subsistence living, while going to community college and working full time after high school. Dinner for a buck fifty. They were definitely down-tier.

Long after the exterior had cooled, the interior was loaded with pockets of steam waiting to poach the skin inside your mouth. And then there were those gristly bits of whatever that were so chewing-resistant, they’re probably still intact out there somewhere in the bio-verse…

7 Likes

I get chicken and turkey pot pies from a local poultry farm. They’re great!

5 Likes