Things I miss: The Swanson TV Dinner

At my house, we had two microwaves which faced each other. One sat on the island in the middle, the other sat on the counter against the wall of the kitchen. I remember trying to convince my parents of the dangers of walking in between the two while both were in operation.

2 Likes

Pretty sure they’re just practicing their beat-poetry.

4 Likes

Heh, my mother (who did most of the cooking) was a terrible cook. She used to specialize in overly dry rice and beans. Forget fluffy rice, she thought the way to cook rice was so that you could feel every individual grain going down.

I remember when I was quite young staying overnight at a friend’s house and when I got back listing all of the wonderful food I got to eat. Of course, this was all food that my mother cooked on a regular basis…

5 Likes

A thing mom made for ages (no idea where she learned it from) Basically sliced ham, egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, cheese, and peas.

2 Likes

High Priest of the SubGenius

3 Likes

Don’t you talk to me about slack. I’ve already pulled the wool over my eyes, and am ready for a Harry highball.

6 Likes
  • ramen noodles cooked water drained doctored with whatever extra veg i could afford and if i was lucky an egg
  • any discount bread that i could smear with tomato sauce and moz for pretend pizza
  • beans and rice (from dried huge bags bought in the international district)
  • anything on super discount that looked foodish

…and on rare occasion i could afford hooters wings. at the time hooters had all you could eat wings for $5 on game nights with the idea you’d buy lots of beer to wash it down. i hated going to hooters and the people who went there to mistreat the waitresses and football in general, but that was a lot of chicken protein for a starving young lad so I went there on occasion. The waitresses never hassled me for not buying beer or eating too many wings because i was always polite quite and nice, and I think they sympathized with a young person who obviously was underfed and just trying to make ends meet.

if things were that thin now i’d go for a whole chicken (several meals from the meat, then bone broth soup), beans and rice still, and stir frys.

4 Likes

i have a weakness for the flavor of instant mashed potatoes…especially if i have pepper and butter…extra especially with gravey. they have a unique tang all on their own that I’ve always liked.

I’ve got everyone in here beat on that score:

Canned pink salmon and peas, suspended in lime jello. I was in tears, refusing to finish it for almost an hour until she tried it herself, at which point the color drained out of her face, she apologized profusely, and we went out for pizza. And I was definitely not a picky eater.

Pretty good at baking though. I’d commit felonies for the plum torte. Misdemeanors for the Mohnkuchen.

13 Likes

[quote=“Ryuthrowsstuff, post:87, topic:86685”]
The analogue is with an instant coffee. A product that has already been prepared, then dehydrated.[/quote]
They’re still “real” potatoes, just partly processed in advance. Just as coffee cherry is hulled, dried, and roasted and probably rested before it hits your grinder and then your brewer.

I understand the idea of eating as fresh as possible; I’ve had pineapple fresh out of the ground, and the difference between that and when it hits the roadsidefarm stand is almost as great as the difference between the farmstand and canned. However, unless you grow your own potatoes it is likely that the potatoes they used were even fresher than the ones at your store.

You won’t like the ones I’ve linked to above. That tang is probably some combination of the Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate and Citric Acid that shows up as preservatives in most instant mashed (like Idahoans). The ones I linked have no preservatives (except the salt).

2 Likes

how long does it take until a fallen pineapple is covered with earth?

2 Likes

Is that a trick question? Do pineapples even fall and get covered in dirt?

3 Likes

I remember, as a child, actively wanting to eat!

Am I missing something?

1 Like

He was a picky eater as a kid who didn’t like meals usually? I didn’t particularly care for eating as a kid. Until I was put on ritalin. Then I really didn’t care about eating. In fact food smells sickened me. Until the drug wore off, then I’d be voracious, as I hadn’t eaten for 12-18 hours.

4 Likes

Context doesn’t support that. Was just wondering if it was lack of proofreading or some inside joke.

Full paragraph:

I remember, as a child, actively wanting to eat! Inexplicably, one of the things I really loved was the Swanson TV Dinner!

I adolesced right as the ADD thing was dawning, or I would certainly have been diagnosed as such.

1 Like

I guess I assumed he was sarcastic and that you were interpreting it that way.

1 Like

Holy crap. Until I looked at that photo, not once had I wondered what pineapple plants looked like. I wonder what else I’ve never wondered about :open_mouth:.

5 Likes

how should I know? to the best of my knowledge pineapples are grown in plastic boxes, sometimes with synthetic turf

13 Likes

Yeah, they’re stubby little guys. I guess I have a cache of esoteric knowledge from my days reading Wikipedia the same way a rabbit builds a warren.

3 Likes

Some pineapples grow like that. Most grow closer to the ground. Ours grow so that they are still embedded in the ground when they ripen. (Or I should say grew, since thanks to a gardening accident we aren’t currently growing pineapples.)

2 Likes