Things I miss: The Swanson TV Dinner

Did someone move Scarfolk to Minnesota?

5 Likes

Well, my dad wasn’t useless in the kitchen, but he also wasn’t particularly ambitious. What I neglected to add was the, while he did make us breakfast every morning, he made us the SAME breakfast every morning. One poached egg (made in one of those multi-purpose egg cookers), two sliced of bacon (cooked in the microwave, once we had one), and two slices of toast. Every. Freaking. Weekday. Morning. For … well at least 8 or 9 years, until my brother and I basically decided to start skipping breakfast. It was a long, long time before I could stand the sight or smell of a poached egg.

3 Likes

That doesn’t look like any creamed spinach I’ve ever seen. This is what creamed spinach is supposed to look like:

4 Likes

Aw, you just need sturdy hemp fiber clothing. It’s a well-known fact that the caustic nature of DEET shows it’s working. If your watch strap can’t hold up against it, what chance do the skeeters have?

4 Likes

You can’t call that dinner. Lutefisk isn’t food.

4 Likes

this is not Rahmspinat, the leaves are still recognizable!

the image shows an extremely watery version, though (one of the reasons I chose it). typically the food (for lack of better words) is still a mostly homogeneous mass

1 Like

Plenty of food looks like the results of a bad digestive problem when you can’t smell it and it’s incompetently photographed with a straight-on flash.

Here’s some more proper creamed spinach.

I like throwing in some pignoli, minced sundried tomatoes, and gruyere if my arteries are feeling too unconstricted.

I’ve loved creamed spinach my entire life and I will not stand for its reputation being besmirched by the baby/astronaut “food” examples you’ve dredged up from whatever unholy chthonian depths you’ve had the misfortune to inhabit. I say to you good day, sir or madam!

ETA: Creamed kale or chard is pretty good too. It’s an interesting pink color if you get the red varieties.

7 Likes

I’ve had spinach that looks just like that in a stromboli a few times. Maybe they made it wrong, but every single time it was like trying to eat a hotpocket full of snot.

Although my favorite salad is fresh spinach, with diced tomatoes and a very small amount of ranch. Cooking the spinach ruins its nutritional value anyway.

For some reason I don’t really like cooked vegetables. I’m going to go ahead and blame my mom’s fear of seasoning and over-zealous steaming on that one. Soggy carrots that have had all their carrot flavor bleached out. Limp broccoli. Unenthusiastic green beans.

3 Likes

The ideal amount of ranch is zero. Ranch dressing is bullshit.

4 Likes

Eh, I like other dressings too, but I likes me some ranch.

Glad you can enjoy cooked spinach, cuz I can’t handle the texture at all.

Really, I just like raw vegetables. A lot of them go well with a sprinkling of ground black pepper. Broccoli and snap peas come to mind.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know anything about Hot Pockets, snot-filled or otherwise. I may have eaten some but I’ve blocked the memory like a childhood trauma.

3 Likes

They’re not great. By the time the magma section has cooled enough not to vaporize the roof of your mouth everything else is room temperature.

And they really can’t be massaged like the BOMB burrito into having a homogeneous temperature, due to the overfilling, which leads to hotpockets always leaking out either end even when cooked exactly to specification.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t think they’ve ever given me diarrhea (pretty sure it’s the malt liquor anyway), but it’s never pleasant eating them.

It’s the kind of thing you eat where you’re drunk enough to know that you’re not going to be able to assemble a sandwich, and are also so drunk that you forget they don’t have any taste beyond “wheat-food-product with colorful liquid.”

2 Likes

I am not sure how you know the one and only proper version, and it seems you’re trying to explain that I don’t talk about actual experiences. Both images you posted are spinach as tasty vegetable, with added cream for extra goodiness. My improper (I think you’re trying to beat in my stupid brain?) version is what is called Rahmspinat, one of the reasons why spinach hereabouts has such a bad reputation.

1 Like

Stromboli is good though. If you get a good kind. I like pepperoni olive and mushroom w/ mozzarella and oregano.

Stromboli is just a hotpocket that’s been made by hand out of real food.

6 Likes

It’s just that you seem to have cherry-picked the worst prison food examples. (Also I misread that as Raumspinat, which was confusing.)

2 Likes

a (probably professional) product photo by Iglo, the best known producer of cow pads:

the photos you posted are not Rahmspinat (lit. cream spinach) but Blattspinat (lit. leave spinach), the latter is still a recognizable vegetable and not an amorphous sludge

product image, same company as above

1 Like

My favorite spinach

8 Likes

And before anyone starts yelling, the original:

4 Likes