Things that exist but probably shouldn't: Drive-thru daiquiri stands

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/04/things-that-exist-but-probably-shouldnt-drive-thru-daiquiri-stands.html

7 Likes

The other similar thing that surprised me when I visited New Orleans was the mall had free samples of daiquiris just sitting out. Don’t know if they still do that, it was 30 some odd years ago.

8 Likes

It’s not drive-thru (you have to get out & go inside), but there is a Daiquiris-to-Go storefront shop about two miles from me.

It’s not strictly a Louisiana thing.

4 Likes

I bet they don’t break down as often as McDonald’s McFlurry machines.

11 Likes

He was in a taxi. The only way to do this.

10 Likes

The thing that surprises me most about this is that they popped up in the early '80s. I mean, Ann Arbor has a drive-through beer store, but it opened in 1941 and only continues to operate that way because it was grandfathered in when laws changed (well before the '80s, if I am not wrong).

6 Likes

The Beer Vault. I’ve been through it, but I was maybe 9 years old and in the back seat. I’m an Ann Arbor native, my mom went there for grad school and was very surprised it was a thing and was laughing when whoever we were with took us through

5 Likes

There are drive-through beer stores in my part of the world. But we also have very strict drunk driving laws.

4 Likes

Is a mark of civilization, I say… along with drive-thru booze & beer.
Comes in handy when getting party supplies.

Yep.
Wait until you get to where you are going to stay.

5 Likes

When I was a teen in rural Florida, most bars in my swampy area of the world had drive-up mixed-drink windows. You learned pretty quickly which windows carded and which ones didn’t (or which attendant was likely to be too drunk to read a drivers license). These thankfully went away, though there was a transition period where they couldn’t sell an open drink, but they could sell you a nip, a mixer, and a cup of ice.

5 Likes

My first trip to New Orleans (pre-Katrina) was an eye-opening Jazz Fest visit with a trip through a daiquiri shop, a big two-pounder-bowl of goddamn delicious crawdads (at a Hooters fer chrissake), and a 2am Deep Banana Blackout show at Howlin’ Wolf. The French Quarter had me convinced that NOLA was where drunks went to die (edged out Reno).

But post-Katrina trips showed me the real side of NOLA, and I do love it. Dodged the drunks and enjoyed Frenchman’s. :heart:

5 Likes

My hometown has a Drive-In bar.

3 Likes

But, if I wait to get to where I am going to stay (wrapped around a utility pole beside the road), I won’t get a chance to drink all this booze.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.