Think of the Karens

I think that your partner can rest assured that nobody thinks of her as the stereotypical “Karen” of meme lore. And nobody thinks about the legendary “Karen” upon hearing your partner’s name. And don’t take my word for it. Just ask my good friend, Dick.

17 Likes

If only we’d stop complaining about racist assholes throwing their weight around, you’d feel better?

18 Likes

Oh, we’re allowed to complain.

Wait :unamused:

Oh, and also, I find it especially annoying that for all the people who complain about “Karen” as a term, not one of them has ever suggested an alternative. “Don’t do this thing bc it makes me uncomfortable, but I’m not going to offer a solution to this problem I just made up.” This whole thread is full of it.

19 Likes

I feel sympathy for your partner. She probably chose her name very carefully and since she is trans, she might be especially sensitive to any negative connotations associated with her name. Trans people have to put up with so many attacks on their person and humanity.

But Karen, the name of a person, is distinct from A Karen. I know several people named Karen. I do not associate them with A Karen. This is an issue people with unfortunate or common names have had to deal with for a long time. It’s just the name Karen wasn’t one of them until the last few years. I have a very common female name. Particularly for my age. I only encounter issues with strangers- like a nurse calling my name at a doctor’s office

Perhaps remind your partner that a name is more than just the letters. How a name is said matters too. A name spoken with affection and love sounds different. My partner and my best friend have the same name. They can distinguish which of them I am speaking to because I say that name differently for each man. My best friend’s partner can hear this difference as well, just as I know which of them she is calling to (or chiding!). I couldn’t explain how I know to save my life. But their names are different even if it is the same word.

15 Likes

Yep, its about my partner and her name.

Yes it’s about my hackles but how do you see this is about me?

My comment came from a love of my partner Karen nothing more.

No not about that at all.

Actually,

NO, IT’S NOT.

Your comment initially got moved to this thread because it was not on topic.

Even now, where the subject is the name ‘Karen’ being used as a derogatory term, the topic STILL doesn’t revolve around you or the people that you happen to care about… but just like everyone else on BB, you are always free to start your own post and talk about whatever you wish to your little heart’s content, rather than co-opting an already existing post.

Hope to read it, and bless your heart.

You have a great day now…

15 Likes

You too

It’s odd, though, that of all the comments here, a place where your comment was moved because you tried to turn a thread about a racist woman harassing a black man into a thread about your feelings, you are responding only to the people calling you out for that, and not to the extremely compassionate response you got from @Kii :woman_shrugging:t2:

It seems like you have made this about you, and lost focus on the love of your partner that brought you here.

Plus, if you happen to actually read this whole thread, know what you won’t find? Anyone named Karen complaining about this. It’s always their “partners and protectors,” which, tbh, raises my hackles of suspicion.

14 Likes

Weird how nobody ever seems to cape for ‘Felicia’ like so many concerned souls seem to for ‘Karen.’

15 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

I’ve seen “Ken”, but a few of us have been lobbying for “Kevin”.

2 Likes

Right?!?
Karen is used for a very specific behavior, meanwhile, Felicia was just shown the door!
Chenille and I got into this a while ago (jokingly) but it is really telling that the one nickname/slur that is quite specifically calling out a behavior gets so many defenders, while all those other nicknames that just make fun of the names are given a pass.
Wonder what that’s all about?

[Narrator: it’s about racism.]

15 Likes

:crossed_fingers: Hoping this is not too much of a tangent for a mostly-serious thread. I just read through the whole thing.

It’s thanks to Cockney rhyming slang.

11 Likes

11 Likes

Are you fooling with me? I can’t tell…is it a cock joke?

What Is Happening Emily Hampshire GIF by CBC

:joy:

Also:

Well done, recent addition! I think that’s more than most of the “Karenplainers” have taken the time to do. Hat’s off to you.

Murdoch Mysteries Smile GIF by Ovation TV

12 Likes

In earnest!

But I’m really enjoying the accidental cock joke and clarification gif.

12 Likes

Not the case at all…

High emotions here I understand but the idea that I’m turning this around about me is rhetorical bullshit that deserves a deeper look into the language we use.

You are not arguing with ‘me’ you are condemning a ‘thought’ that I have offered up into the discussion about semantics and the use of language.

Forget about me and forget about my love for a "Karen’… get your shit correct (not you) and not offend people who choose there name.

The box ‘I’m’ cornered in, a catch 22 is that I have to refer to my feelings and more importantly my thoughts as being ‘me’ to which the overwhelming response is it’s all about “me”… “All about you”

Of course I’m being me in this comment thread. Just looking for like minded folk and trying to avoid the hurtful snark.

11 Likes

Did you read this thread? If you do and still want to talk, let’s do it.
You’ll find very like-minded posts upthread, and thoughtful replies (which mainly go ignored).
But if you want to make everyone have the same conversation we’ve had a few times already…not as cool.

11 Likes