They're making a movie called "Karen" and it's exactly what you're thinking

Originally published at: They're making a movie called "Karen" and it's exactly what you're thinking | Boing Boing

A reminder for those inclined to complain to a manager moderator about the use of the word “Karen” in this context: there’s now a topic specifically designed for your pearl-clutching.

Yet even from the trailer it seems to have no idea why Get Out’s surface materials relate to its deeper impact, or the nuance which it was accomplished.

This is just BET superficially riding a meme related to Black life in America, which as I understand it is what BET does.

18 Likes

studio exec meeting, framed posters for “slenderman” and “the emoji movie” seen in background:
“so what are people saying this week?”
“uh… [checks notes] ‘karen’ is still pretty popular.”
“that’s it, that’s our movie.”

5 Likes

Who the fuck do they think is the audience for this? Karens or the PoC they fear? Without knowing the ending, it’s hard to know. In fact, I would not put it past the studio fuckwits to edit it with two entirely different endings, one to ‘please’ each audience. Which would lead to segregated showings…

The movie industry just jumped another shark in its efforts to exploit everyone and everything.

ETA I had no idea what “BET” was until this thread developed and I had to look it up. When I said ‘they’ above, I was assuming some fuckwit Hollywood production company.
Seriously? Black Entertainment Television thinks THIS is what its audience wants? Christ, what assholes.

6 Likes

I can’t wait for the sequel where they finally open the giant theme park full of real, live Karens… and things go terribly wrong.

5 Likes

“Karen Part II: Pestworld”

8 Likes

Dare we hope for Karen: The Awakening?

7 Likes

This looks atrocious. I need to speak to BET’s manager about this.

14 Likes

I mean, this movie was clearly made for about $50, and they probably had access to the set because the director’s cousin is a realtor, just judging from the production value.

3 Likes

Gah, I always hit the wrong reply button and reply to a comment instead of the top post.

13 Likes

I love this and we deserve it.

1 Like

/me throws in the towel and logs off the internet for the day.

3 Likes

Smug people who was to watch “Karen” get her comeuppance without actually having to lift a finger.

8 Likes

So this is how “Pennsatucky” Doggett ended up in Prison?

3 Likes

Movies like this, where you have a psycho person/town going after a family, are stressful and infuriating usually. Sometimes they manage to release that tension at the end when everyone gets their comeuppance, but other times you’re left feeling bleh.

1 Like

It’s Taryn Manning, though. I bet she plays a good Karen.

orange is the new black angel GIF

6 Likes

My conspiracy theory: This was made by the same people who did Atlas Shrugged. :thinking:

1 Like

Aaron McGruder was not a BET fan. :confused:

2 Likes