This 180 degree headlamp is a game changer for night hiking

Dawn breaks upon “hiker” halfway up El Capitan

“Uh, I think we went off the trail at some point last night…”

4 Likes

Some of us have completely legitimate uses for such things. During the cool season we have a local hike leader that runs after-work hikes, generally on Wednesdays. She usually starts at 6 or 6:15. Current sunset is 4:30 and actually a bit before that as there are mountains to the west of where we hike. That means it’s fully dark when we leave the trailhead and almost no city light spills out there. Even with a full moon I wouldn’t consider hiking without a light–the terrain isn’t flat, it’s very rocky and contains a reasonable supply of plants you do not want to touch.

That being said, I wouldn’t go for a light like this. The wider the light the less intense it is at any given location. If I need to see what’s off there to the side I can just turn and look at it.

3 Likes

I’ve seen late-night road workers wearing a version of these that are 360 degrees, they do a great job of making the wearer very visible from a distance.

2 Likes

Of course there are legitimate uses. But my personal experience tends to make me assume a headlamp = petty crime. My experience is skewed.

It’s what this happy mutant does!

(Serious. I hate flashlights because they limit what you can see so much. The dimmest flashlight you can find is still too bright. One LUX is more than enough.)

1 Like

I see homeless people using headlamps to search dumpsters and recycling bins.

3 Likes

That too, no doubt. As always, it depends on the person. One ‘gentleman’ resident of the shelter recently found some fancy cutlery and a large screen television in a dumpster or recycling bin, which I then had to inform him that he could not store under his cot.

I can barely point my eyeballs 45° away from center. There is some value to peripheral vision, but it looks like this product is illuminating things behind the wearer’s back.

1 Like

I just want to say how glad I am that this post thread is now 48 posts deep. I was worried at first, I felt like it might not take off. But we pulled it off, people! The internet lives on!

And who doesn’t love flashlights. With LEDs being what they are, we’re in the golden age of flashlights!

1 Like

What, caves don’t have microUSB chargers?
More seriously, that’s only hand cranking power every 3 hours and seems reasonable.
USB-C to crank it through, maybe not as great as big contacts and supercaps in there.

This is getting to the good part of a certain Eric Carle ‘I see…’ book.
The solanaceae see gloaming reglaciation looking at their P&E, what does it see?
Mobile forest and silt slick-dragging over hie, and breaking out through a mile of ice to make a delivery.

5 Likes

Unless it can beam some decent Ampage like Tesla’s Tachyon Death Ray, nope.

Kirk Climbs El Capitan, Yellowstone, Star Trek V, Spock Advises

1 Like

screw the naysayers. i want one.

1 Like

Especially when hunting humans who are night hiking. (Strictly for food. Sports hunting is so wrong) :grinning:

1 Like

The whistler strikes about 50 minutes in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.