This 1849 guidebook was a Yelp for whorehouses

So did the customers write the reviews? And then lose access to the hookers when they gave a bad review?

I doubt the guidebook did much outreach. I’d never heard of “Yelp” until they started to do local promotion, somehow covering up that they were making money off individual’s reviews. But then I’ve been online long enough to remember when individuals woukd just collect other people’s posts to make a page about local bookstores or vegetarian restaurants or whatever.

3 Likes

Perhaps a number of men went to the brothels, but “just to listen to the music”?

4 Likes

I think if you go back enough decades, the houses were a place for a variety of entertainment. Music, drinking, cameraderie, and upstairs, a bit of sex.

3 Likes

I think music hall was one of the covers, depending on the local morality and laws. And if you go way back, in some times and places, they were probably temples.

Yes.

I have no first hand experience, but I have seen movies.

In the movie Leadbelly, he entertains at the bar. I think Richard Prior played piano in a brothel in “Lady Sings tge Blues”.

But yes, many a western has those saloons where the “dancing girls” are waiting on the stairs to the second floor. I’ve wondered if “Miss Kitty” in “Gunsmoke” was one, or employees d tgem.

Even in the Klondike gold rush they were there, operating in cribs but I suspect in close operation with the dance halls.

A “gay house” being where a man goes to have sex with a woman.

How language has changed…

3 Likes

It’s where you have a gay old time.

(I hope I heard the lyrics properly)

2 Likes

That reminded me of a caption in National Lampoon from many years ago: A Mormon’s wives, ye devils swives.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.