This 1980s TV spot for GE cassette players is like an epic fantasy sci-fi flick

Originally published at: This 1980s TV spot for GE cassette players is like an epic fantasy sci-fi flick | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Wild boys (wild boys) never lose it
Wild boys (wild boys) never chose this way
Wild boys (wild boys) never close your eyes
Wild boys always shine

13 Likes

The suits at GE must have already been truly desperate to green-light that ad.

8 Likes

I like that the premise of the ad is that we can envision all sorts of advanced tech in the future, but we’ll still have cassette tapes.

20 Likes

I was told there would be cassette tapes, where are they?

11 Likes

As a child of the 80s, I am disappointed we are not living in this future.

17 Likes

We still do!

(Though I just tried to fire up my old boom box and only the radio works - the mechanical components are borked… :frowning: )

6 Likes

They were melted by your jetpack and run over by the monorail.

12 Likes

Where my genie pants at?

6 Likes

Just wait, they’ll be back.

4 Likes

Wait, is this the new Dune?

10 Likes
3 Likes

The power of analog audio!

As a child of the 80’s I have to say: The 80’s were incredibly cheesy. Far better than the 70’s though.

6 Likes

But at least the cars were awesome.

SlipperyCalculatingAmericanblackvulture-max-1mb

6 Likes

I thought I heard strains of “Shine on You Crazy Diamond pt.6” in the background of that commercial. Cool.

I miss these days. People were really excited about new technology coming out. Playing your own music anywhere you went was, in my opinion, really revolutionary.

6 Likes

It’s amusing to me they felt they needed to try that hard to appear so advanced and cool. There was no way in a million years I was going to burn my hard earned allowance on a GE boombox.

5 Likes

They’ve been coming back! Figure it’s an extension of the nostalgia factor that’s (at least partially) behind the vinyl resurgence. You can’t buy a new tape deck that isn’t garbage, though.

Makes me want to crank some tapes, further proof that advertising works.

3 Likes