This $4.5M Maryland Mansion has a miniature cobblestone Main Street in the basement

horror fans with kids?

Indeed I am. I’m both in Scotland and in England so often that that is not a mistake I would make, believe me.

2 Likes

Before I worked on one of those cars, I loved them, thought they were powerful, sexy beasts. I’ve since learned they are rust prone, laden with bad electrics, lousy fuel pumps and horrible overheating problems. The ignition system came with a free rabbit’s foot for luck, and you needed all of it.

I helped a buddy overcome most of these problems (with modern components and a whole lot of welding) at great cost to his wallet, only for the Jag’s subframe to give up, and the car to gently fold in the middle one day when he sat in it. I told him he was lucky, but also that he was now on his own. To this day I can’t see a Jag E-type w/o shuddering.

1 Like

Not so much a McMansion as a. . .I dunno. . .Ruth’s Chris Steak House House?

3 Likes

I mean, it’s pretty clear from context that I missed a comma there, isn’t it? Admittedly in the most unfortunate of places.

1 Like

Knowing that you’re not American, yes it is.

But I’ve known many Americans who immediately assume any place in the UK is next to London

3 Likes

[Raises hand sheepishly] I think it’s kinda cool.

Although the irony of recreating a time and place when the average person had nice things and a carefree life in the basement of an insanely opulent McMansion/shrine to Moloch is not lost on me.

I disagree. I have lived within an hours drive of the creationist museum in Kentucky for years, yet I’ve never been there. I hear it’s pretty cool and all, but it would have to be, seeing as it’s intended as a religious indoctrination center.

3 Likes

I assume that going there would mean paying, and while I do think building something different is a plus in and of itself, that doesn’t mean I’m going to fund them.

1 Like

I totally misread the title of this post as Marilyn Manson’s Mansion

9 Likes

About 14 minutes in, David starts talking about Richard Garriott, (author of the Ultima series of videogames) and the replica medieval village he used for Society for Creative Anachronism activities.

2 Likes

You’ll want one from these guys then. (Best part of a million quid!)
https://www.eaglegb.com/

2 Likes

A) I think this was on Boing Boing about 4 months ago.
B) Has no-one here ever stayed at a Gaylord resort/conference center?

1 Like

Good point. If I was going to build a town square, I’d build the one from Frankenstein.

2 Likes

Here’s one nearbyish that has three, yes, three kitchens…

1 Like

I thought that too, but couldn’t find it on a quick search.

1 Like
Sir, I'm afraid I have to take issue with you.

6 Likes

Her Malibu compound used to seem like an interesting idea. With a lot of money, and an unwillingness to settle on a single design scheme for your home, you could create a compound with multiple houses that each have a unique theme:

It’s all very Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon, Le Hameau, non? Where’s that guillotine…

3 Likes

Damn, if I’d known this bumper sticker existed, I would’ve gotten it for him. On second thought, no, putting it on might’ve made that bumper fall off. Thanks for the laugh!

1 Like

I hate you.

Prior to this moment, I had no idea that company existed. Now I am going to lust after one of these until I die, all the while knowing that it will be forever out of my reach.

3 Likes

This reminds me of one of my favorite exhibits at he Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. When I was growing up, I was in awe of the full size dioramas in Yesterday’s Main Street. Even as an adult it was one of the very few exhibits that has somewhat held up over time (at least in my mind). If I had the time, money, and space, this is something I would probably do.

2 Likes