This $4.5M Maryland Mansion has a miniature cobblestone Main Street in the basement

Maybe an extra full bathroom for a pool and/or gym? Or maybe attached to a “bonus room” that could be re-purposed as a bedroom? 3 half baths (I assume these are powder rooms) aren’t out of place in a house of this size.

1 Like

Chronic diarrhoea.

4 Likes

I think it’s more the bizarre anachronisms that destroy it. You have a post office with a WWI Liberty Bonds poster, a movie theater showing Mary Poppins (1964) and The Exorcist (1973) and which is going to show Platoon (1986) “soon”, cars of various eras, etc.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree this is very likely therapeutic for a family member with mental illness or dementia. I can understand if they were sensitive to mention it but really, it should have been mentioned as a feature of the home, it is a valuable feature. I would not criticize the person who created this for a moment.

4 Likes

This is where at least one (if not more) episode of The Avengers (no, not that one, this one:
proxy-image )
was recorded.

And probably a couple of episodes of The Saint

4 Likes

One bathroom per bedroom and one extra for anyone not actually staying overnight. Simples!

3 Likes

I think that you are missing a comma.

4 Likes

They can also be hell on your ankles during a walking tour. I bought my European travel shoes for “cobblestone comfort.” Sneakers were not good enough. :walking_woman:t4:

2 Likes

A freak with good taste? Both are excellent kids films! :smiley:

3 Likes

I thought I had seen this before, so I did some googling. It’s amazing what people will build in their basements. I saw a Disney Fantasyland, Star Wars cantina, Pirates of the Caribbean, and a haunted house just for starters.

3 Likes

Though I doubt the person who owns this house built anything themselves, rather had a crew come in and do it for them.

1 Like

After taking the time to look at the rest of the pics of the house, I would have to add that $4.5M seems like a bargain. As a former contractor, I would hire whoever did the interior trim in this house in a heartbeat. There is some terrific molding work and lots of arches and time consuming detail everywhere you look. The decor isn’t my taste but it is still very well done.

It’s 12,000 sq.ft., not counting the guest house and the pool house. Extensive landscaping. Beautiful pool and tennis court. And a huge lot, must be 3 or 4 acres in DC. I can’t even imagine what the ground is worth. The $43,500 in yearly taxes is no bargain, though if you can afford the house, you can afford the taxes.

6 Likes

And if you look at Google maps, it has it’s own helicopter landing pad :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I need Kate Wagner to do a McMansion Hell post about this house

5 Likes

I’d rather have this one than Dr. Phil’s chamber of horrors.

3 Likes

“Dude, I’ve got this home theater set-up with these and those, it’s really sweet.”
" Yeah Dude. sounds sweet, where should I start…"

Oh come on, give the person some credit for having a sense of humor (if an obvious one) for making that the double feature.

5 Likes

I would pay good money to see Mary Poppins: The Exorcist, in the vein of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

4 Likes

I assumed it was some kind of mashup. Because if you’re wondering what kind of freak would watch that, yo, I’m right here.

Thems fighting words

Simple. You have a dinner party, but your food gives the guests such bad diarrhea that four of them are on the slop jar at any one time, and one of those four needs a full shower afterward.

Not that I’d know from experience.

3 Likes

Funny, Boing Boing would be all over this if it were some “geek” subculture thing taken to excess, but a rich person making a mall in a rather quaint style with a few throwback posters doesn’t meet our definition of “cool geek” but tips toward “rich moron” instead.

I applaud anyone who makes something out of the ordinary. Even those people who build “Noah’s Ark” or whatever, they’re doing something different. This weird mansion now stands out from all the other stupid mansions. Why would you not want to have a very cool, different basement than the ordinary crap out there?

9 Likes