This 61-year-old potato farmer won an ultramarathon in 1983

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/02/this-61-year-old-potato-farmer.html

1 Like

I wouldn’t discount potato farmers unless you’ve spent a few October days digging up a half acre of spuds.

5 Likes

Why is this going up today? The is the November 21st episode.

1 Like

This was an AWESOME episode. Highly recommended.

1 Like

this is newer

I remember Cliffie Young. That year during the school cross-country run, we were all trying to win it with the Cliff Young Shuffle. But I think you only develop that style after years of running in gumboots.

3 Likes

Ahh Cliffie. And his shuffle. Straya!

4 Likes

Oh, they mean he was already 61 years old when he won the race.

3 Likes

I was the cook for Cliff on a run from Swan Hill, on the Victorian/NSW border to Mebourne which was 337Km. He was in his mid-70’s by then. Wonderful guy. . boy! did he have an eye for the ladies, though! The masseur for Cliff and the other two runners on this charity fund-raising run (the ‘40-Hour Famine’ charity run) was a gorgeous blonde woman in her mid-30’s and Cliff was using all his charm (and telling her how rich he was, because his Mum had died and the farm was worth a lot of money). . Such a funny guy. . He was such a skinny, scrawny guy too. He NEVER ran in shorts, but instead wore thin nylon material tracksuit pants in which he had hacked holes about 3" diameter, with a pair of scissors. He also ran that particular event wearing an old white shirt. . . just your standard type business shirt, because he had run out of sponsor-supplied t-shirts by then. His favourite thing to eat on the run (remember, i was the cook for the whole crew and runners) was mashed potato and pumkin, with LOTS of pepper in it.
Cliff and I corresponded for a few years until he died. . he really disliked all organised religions, but did whatever he could for worthwhile and charitable organisations.
A real character and I miss him.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.