This 80s movie has plucky losers who ski

i’m surprised. he looks slightly younger in this. bummer about his career – at least he has the comfort of knowing he was in one of the best werewolf movies ever made.

[EDIT]

holy crap, how did i not know this? i mean, of course i know the song, but i never knew who did it. i’m singing along right now, haha.

2 Likes

I, Tonya might be a recent movie about an event in the 90s, but it immediately popped into mind reading that trope, and it really was what made it worth watching.

1 Like

ok, i had to go look it up, and holy smokes, it was filmed at Squaw Valley! that’s not far from me now. i was assuming it was filmed at Big Bear or Mammoth, somewhere closer to L.A., or at the very most Aspen, since it has this “rich skiers” trope, so i’m surprised.

2 Likes

I love how Bond climbs up the fortress with nobody belaying him. Then the henchman with the gun edges down the cliff to knock the pitons out of the rock with the butt of his gun, rather than just waiting for Bond to climb up and just shooting him off.

4 Likes

I don’t know why a guy who can pick up and throw 300+ lbs of bike doesn’t just rush forward and crush his foe.

2 Likes

“…TWO-O-O-O DO-O-O-OLLARS!”

I have very fond memories of watching it with my friends =).

Henchmen gonna hench. This is why the Minions, while goofy, are still very effective for Gru (“Despicable Me”): decent wages, health/dental, and a boss who remembers everyone’s name. Most Evil Masterminds™ are a bit… Light on bennies, if you will.

1 Like

Laugh, the song “Makin It” was featured in the movie Meatballs, where the plucky kids and counselors of the cheap camp outdo the kids and counselors at the rich kids’ camp.

3 Likes

And it was a well-done drama (won the 1979 Academy Award for best original screenplay) that was loosely based on a real story:

6 Likes

It’s not croquet but if lawn bowls is close enough for you…

1 Like

Sub trope: If there’s an ‘asian’ guy in the competition, out comes the hachimaki!

5 Likes

I was so disappointed that the clip wasn’t from that film!
“Go downhill very, very quickly. And if anything gets in your way: TURN.”

2 Likes

As I reach… a certain age, I was starting to wonder if I imagined the many many ‘80s ski movies that seemed to completely dominate my youth somehow. This BBS topic has reassured me that I didn’t imagine it, so thank you. Mind you, growing up in Canada, I suspect these movies got a lot more play than perhaps they did in the US. As teens we bickered over the relative coolness of ski jacket brands in a way that I suspect few Americans did, based on John Hughes movies.

The more ‘80s ski movies you’ve seen, the more you realize the genius of Hot Tub Time Machine.

3 Likes

So the Brits are the ones making American '80s comedies, now?

1 Like

“Sorry your mom blew up, Ricky.”

BTW, Ricky was played by Dan Schneider, creator of iCarly, Drake and Josh, Victorious, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I first saw this when I was 8 or 9. I assumed that these characters were as cool as anyone could ever be.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.